Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janny_gw

What's wrong with my corn?

janny
13 years ago

This is my first year growing corm and have been anxiously waiting for the ears to develop. I started the corn in my greenhouse and transplanted it. Today I examined the corn closely and noticed the ears are deformed. Each one has 2-4 cobs in each ear. It looks like they're all like this! My friend is growing corn beside it and hers looks fine. I did soak the corn before I planted it to remove the fungicide that was on it as I wanted it more organic. Did that cause this problem? I'm very disappointed with my 50 stalks, what a waste of time, money and space! So who knows what happened to my Ambrosia corn? Thanks for your help. Janny

Comments (7)

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

Hi Janny - First of all corn doesn't take to being transplanted, it should be direct seeded. Also, you don't have to pre-soak it. I can't say if removing the fungicide would have any negative results but I doubt it. As far as 2-4 cobs per ear I'm not sure what you mean by this, how about posting a Photo.

Greg
    Nevada

• janny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I didn't make this clear. I do know about the pitfalls of transplanting corn. I have friends who do this every year and have corn two weeks early, so I know you can do this successfully. So this was an experiment for me and I direct seeded other varieties to see which corn would produce first. But back to the problem, is an ear and a cob the same thing? I have growing in the "green leaf package" several tiny undeveloped ears of corn growing together. One maybe 6 inches long and 1 inch thick and the others smaller in size. There are tassels on it, but obviously deformed. My garden is a shared one and not at my house so I won't be able to take a picture today. Thanks for your help. I was hoping someone would tell me it must be defective seed and eliminate me from the problem.(haha)

• sandhill_farms
    13 years ago

I can't tell you why it mutated, probably "Bad Seed."

Greg
    Nevada

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Is it a hybrid?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    13 years ago

Janny:

I think you may be talking about the tassel and not the ear. You said there are tassels on it too. Sometimes the tassel has both male and female parts. This occurs on the top of the plant where the tassel is located. The ears, which consist of a cob with kernels on it, are located about mid height and emerge from the leaf sheath.

So an ear of corn consists of a cob with the kernels on it in rows, the silk and all that covered by the husk. Are there several cobs inside the husk? I've never seen that.

But the tassel on top of the plant or on top of suckers sometimes has a combination of male and female parts. These are not covered with a husk but may have silk.

• janny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I need to to learn how to talk corn talk! Yes I should not have said tassle. There is silk on these deformed ears. I did notice on the tassle it does look like little cobs growing on that too. This must be what fruitnut is referring to. I don't know if my seed is a hybrid. I bought it at a garden center where they package their own seed and it doesn't have that information on it. I know the clerk there and she recommended this as the type she grows. I'll have to bring it in there and see what she says. Thanks for the help, Janny

• bluebirdie
    13 years ago

Hi Janny, did you mean you got more than one ear out of each corn plant? The same thing happened to me. I planted 6 seeds and got 9 ears, out of which only 8 edible. The variety is called Early Sunglow hybrid.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022