Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bell pepper problems (sun scald?) and poblano woes

Posted by poultrygeist IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 22:11

Hi Veggie People, this is my first time growing anything more exciting than tomatoes, so please forgive my newbieness.
I have several bell pepper plants, and while a couple bells are looking good, a few have developed light brown and/or shriveled areas. Here's a picture of two of the affected bell peppers; the inset picture at the bottom is of two healthy-looking specimens on the same plant.

The following pictures are of a single pepper I removed and dissected to check for any creepy crawlies living inside. It looks like no one had made it a home. Does (did) this pepper have the same issue?

Is this an example of sun scald? I've been covering my plants with cheesecloth, because I read peppers are susceptible to just that problem and with the hot and sunny weather (duh, summer) some of the leaves had previously been getting sunburned on these and other plants.

Do I need to cut off the affected peppers so the plant can put its energy into new growth/fruit, or is the damage on the first two peppers not too bad? I noticed what looked like a spot of mold starting to grow on the pepper which I cut open, so of course I don't want any nasties using injured peppers as a point of infection for the plant as a whole.

Thank you!

P.S. What is up with my poblano pepper plant? It's maybe 2 feet tall, and it makes buds like a champion--but they rarely open into flowers and so far all have fallen off without making tasty fruit (a couple got to smaller-than-a-pea-sized, but that's it!) What gives?! The plants are in containers filled with a potting soil mix.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bell pepper problems (sun scald?) and poblano woes

1. Very common question on this board. Sunscald.

2. Peppers in pots need fert, water, water, water, water, water, fert, fert, water, water.

Dan

o

Poblanos are southwestern peppers that fruit quite late, after the plants have formed many blossom-bearing branches and look umbrella-like in shape. Think of them as determinates -- one big harvest, all at once, at the end of the season.

o

Thank you dan and planatus. It's good to know my poblano is not a lost cause yet! I'm still not sure if I need to remove the peppers from the first post, though. I guess I will, if only to make room for new fruit. Are they okay to eat if I cut around the scalded bits? Will they taste seriously funky, being underripe?

o

Cut out the bad parts and munch out.. they are fine, and it does resemble,BER, Blossom End Rot also, so it usually resolves itself as the season marches on, Personally I wouldn't cover them, pick off the bad ones (they won't get any better, and as you say, it gives more room for new fruits,

PS... Keep the moisture consistent, and you will fare better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here