Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the story with Sprite melons?

Posted by conchitaFL 10 Hutchinson Island (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 22:20

I've just about got my fall seed orders figured out, but I thought I would like to try a melon. I need something that produces fairly small fruit and can be trellised and I don't care for muskmelons all that much, so I thought I would try a Sprite.

But when I search for seed sources it appears that everyone had it a couple of years ago (lots of cached pages and missing pages), but now only Clifton Seed sells it.

Does anyone know why the other major seed sellers no longer carry it? Johnny's had it, for example, but the old links just bring up a missing page, not a page with "crop failure" or anything. I know it's a patented variety, so I would understand if it had never been released, but since it was, I'm curious.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the story with Sprite melons?

It doesn't have any taste.

o

I also found it pretty flavorless.

o

It is a crisp melon. Hard crisp flesh only semi-sweet. They have developed a commercial market in the North Carolina area, which is why Clifton carries it. Definitely an acquired taste. Those who like it demand it. The rest of us pass it by.

o

They seemed to be pushing it for fad status a few years ago.

o

Thanks, everyone. It seems to be the case with almost all the small oriental melons (and Sprite is Japanese originally for anyone who didn't know)--evidently people either like them or they don't.

Canteloupe is the only melon I really don't care for, and it seems to me that all the smaller melons I'm finding are either asian types, canteloupe, or the little highly scented ones grown for their perfume rather than for eating.

Anyone know of a small honeydew type or something other than a muskmelon?

o

They seemed to be pushing it for fad status a few years ago.

o

There are lots of small Honeydews. Johnny's carries Snow Leopard which is the smallest I know. They also have the larger 3 lb Honey White. A few years ago they carried Early Crisp, which is crispy like Sprite but sweeter. I trialed it and discarded and apparent Johnny did the same. Earli-Dew is still my best producer and it tastes like a honeydew.
Early Crisp:

Early Crisp photo earlycrisp.jpg

Early Crisp photo earlycrisp1.jpg

Early Crisp 3 photo earlycrisp3a.jpg

o

Thanks, farmerdill. I had looked at Snow Leopard, just because it's such an attractive fruit. But that's still listed as 2 lb average, and down here melons usually exceed average. It's mostly for just me and I don't have many neighbors during melon season (most of 'em only come down from Jan through April), so it's hard to give away the excess. (Our only local food bank doesn't take produce donations. I'd have to drive 50 miles round trip to donate.)

Something like Sakata's Sweet would be perfect except that hardly anyone seems to like the taste very much--sweetish cucumber seems to be the general response.

o

Anyone have any thoughts on Golden Sweet or the one that Baker sells as Panama Passionfruit melon?

o

Have you considered Charentais?

There's also the Galia-type melon, a green-fleshed hybrid and not too large, smaller than a Dew.

This post was edited by ltilton on Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 13:06

o

Thanks, ltilton. Yes, I've considered Charentais, but the only time I've ever tasted one is from what the stores here sell as Charentais, and they seem to be just a sweeter version of a 'lope. Of course, it's entirely possible, even likely, that they're actually selling one of the crossbred varieties, but it's made me a little leery of netted, orange fleshed varieties.

Does the true Charentais have a cantaloupe-y flavor?

o

I find it significantly different. A true Charentais is not netted.

o

A true Charentais is not netted.

Then the ones I've had must have been crossbred. They had the vertical lines and bulges, but also netting. That would explain it. Thanks, maybe I'll give Charentais a try, then.

o

That would be my description of all the crisp melons that I have tried. They do have small versions tho like Early Silverline which come in at under a lb. Evergreen has a good selection. Sakata's Sweet is still available. The seedsman has many Korean varieties. Galias are honeydew cantaloupe crosses. My favorite but if you don't like cantaloupe, you proably will not like them. They do come really small either. Haogen is probably the smallest, tho not a true Galia. Arava 2 photo arava2.jpg Courier photo Courier.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Crisp melons

o

Savor is a true Charentais. Johnny's carries it.

To me, a Galia is a bit more on the Dew side than the Loupe.

o

Thanks again, both of you. It's so aggravating that there aren't any farmers' markets around here that have melons (I don't believe I've ever seen a melon other than watermelon at either of our local markets) that I could buy to try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here