Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iceburg Lettuce just grows more leaves. No head.

Posted by gsevens 5 Southern NH (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 23, 09 at 22:20

I planted iceburg lettuce seeds indoors back in April. They went into the ground in mid May. The lettuce has grown steadily from the beginning. It just won't turn into a head. It continues to pop out more leaves, but they don't curl up right. My Lakes head lettuce headed up just fine, just not my Iceburg. Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks,
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iceburg Lettuce just grows more leaves. No head.

Heat or planting too close can delay or even prevent heading. Any chance one of those conditions exist?

Dave

o

I believe the plants are about 15-18" apart. I've got a ton of rain this year so far. It has been cooler than usual for this time of year in New England. It has been starting to get warm lately, but that is just recently. It had been in the 70s for quite some time. Is that to warm for Iceburg lettuce.

Paul

o

I am confused, are you saying that the cultivar "Great Lakes" headed up but a cultivar labeled "Iceberg" did not? There are over a hundred cultivars of iceberg type lettuce of which several are named Great Lakes. There are three of the older cultivar that actually have Iceburg in the name. If that is the case I would continue to go with the Great Lakes or a try a more modern cultivar. It may be that the cultivar labeled Iceberg was a generic cultivar that is not suited, or has a longer growing season etc. But if the cultivar Great Lakes heads satisfactorily go with that as your base line.

o

I had the same experience with Iceberg. It was always a light green, leafy, then finally bolted. Then I planted some Great Lakes and I got really nice heads and dark green leaves.

My solution has been to plant Great Lakes and forget the Iceberg. Whether it is heat, lack of water, or whatever, it really doesn't matter as the Iceberg just doesn't do well for me and Great Lakes does.

o

Farmerdilla, thanks for the info. Great Lakes is the way to go.

Beeone, yes mine are very light green, very leafy. They have had plenty of water this year. I have got enough rain I have only had to water once or twice since spring. We have had a lot of rain here in New England. I don't know if too much rain can cause this too.

Thanks again for the info.
Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here