Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

To wet in beds?

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

This is our first year for raised beds and plasticulture. We have all different types of veggies on thes beds 6 ish inches tall. We have had major rain in our area since spring. Planting a are even late due to it. 26 inches in 5 weeks. When I check under the plastic it is wet. I can make packed balls from the dirt that comes out. I drained the standing water in the area between beds today and hope that let's some of the water drain out. Some of the plants have started to look stressed and some of the tomatoes are starting to wilt. The melons and squashes seem to like it. Beans are just slower than usual.

Anyone have any experience with this? I have only watered 2x since day one. So the fertalizer isint getting out there either.

Comments (10)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well, number one: 26 inches of rain is a lot. Number two: Probably you have clay soil which does not drain well. Number three: the plastic it retaining the moisture longer( soil is not airing and not letting the water to evaporate. I belive that the soil needs to breath just we do. And that is why the hoe the garden(between and around the plants) to get some air into the soil. That is why I am against using plastics of any kind. I would rather use thick layer of mulch.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I knew there was some risk posting this here as I read a lot of people are against it. I am confident this year had we not at least gone raised beds we would have a 3/4 acer mud lot full of weeds. I haven't been able to get a tiller into the field for a month. I do respect others opinions and appreciate the reply. In our situation we already bring in hundreds of dollars of organic compost to blend into the clay soil and this part of the farm doesn't justify further expenditure for mulch. So it is my lot.

• nancyjane_gardener
    10 years ago

There is never a "risk" posting here....unless you are a jerk who doesn't listen to anyone else! And there have been plenty! LOL Nancy

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't intend to be that guy Nancy. I have been growing crops for years and I learn something I diddnt know all the time! The plasticulture is new to us. My parents in their age are unable to keep up with the weeds in a total of an acer and a fourth of garden. They however need the procedes to help cover their bills. So I built a beder and got the plastic and drip tape to cover it all. That much was a success, but in years past drought was our issue. This year we catch every storm that rolls through. I have been weed eating between the rows because we can't till. I drained the fields tonight with the track loader in an attempt to get the surface water out. Everything looked really good until this week. Went swimming last week to pick!

• ltilton
    10 years ago

The raised beds may be what saves your crops - or some of them anyway. But they'll need quick-acting fertilizer. The rain will have washed a lot of the nutrients and good stuff away.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We can do that, I have fertigation set up to inject . What would be the best to help these recover?

• Deborah-SC
    10 years ago

weirdtrev: the Southeast has been inundated with rain. This past week alone we've had over 6 inches of rain in my neck of the woods :)

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have never seen rain like this, the area 20 miles from us received 5.5 inches in one day. We only got around 3 that day. I don't have a rain gague at my house. My figures are just by what the local news says and the old guy down the road. Regardless my raised beds are soaked.

• Rio_Grande
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I think the worry is over. The tomato beds went from water soaked to a semi dry crust today. The beans are still not looking great yet but the beds are drying. I was really sweating it for a few days. Last night draining must have helped. At this rate we will be watering again by the weekend.