Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlyjenny

Help! Rascal munching my zukes and toms!

CurlyJenny
9 years ago

I'm in zone 5a, Ohio. Some animal is eating my tomatoes and zucchini in broad daylight. I figured this out, because I watered this morning and came back later this evening to find two nearly ripe tomatoes on separate plants munched from the inside of the plant (stem side, not exterior side). Nearly half of the tomato was eaten. Whatever is responsible does not bother the green ones. Yet.

Then I was inspecting my zucchini plant and noticed that the stalks on several otherwise healthy leaves were bent in half and torn along the stalk. Upon further investigation I found that a baby zucchini had been munched in two sections that definitely looked like the work of teeth (not a beak).

Whatever it is may have also eaten a couple of leaves from my brussels sprouts plants. (Entire leaf was gone down to stem. I don't think a caterpillar could do that.)

We have plenty of squirrels and a large chipmunk population closer to the house (veg garden is over 50 feet away). We also saw a large ground hog run across our backyard a couple of months ago. And we're pretty sure our trash has been visited by raccoons. Do you think it's any of these or some other varmint?

I sprinkled some coyote urine around the plants and garden tonight. However, I'm doubtful. I hate to see the fruits of my labor eaten up. Any suggestions for how to discourage?

Comments (5)