Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy Pumpkin Vines!

Posted by Pd0xGard_ 5 Philly PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 22:35

These are a couple pictures of my 4 or 5 pumpkin vines I transplanted from my compost pile this spring. I have 2 fruit set at the moment, with another 1 or 2 probably opening for pollination by the end of the week. I never expected them to completely overtake my yard! :) Up along the fence, up over the forsythia and a climbing rose....completely across (and back in a couple cases) our 20ft yard...whoa!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy Pumpkin Vines!

the other side of the yard connected to the first picture...as you see, it's growing up our back steps ;)

o

First fruit set, pollinated 7-9-14

o

Pumpkins will make nicer looking fruits if grown setting up vertically. This must be done carefully and early on. Shortly the vines will be glued to the ground and then you cannot move them unless they are on pavement.

o

Yeah, I started off training them pretty good, but by the time females started developing, they had overgrown the area I expected them to be in ;) Not much I can do now, o well, still should get some fruit, mishapen or not, still fun having my own pumpkin patch LOL :)

o

It's probably too late to start seeds, but I'll give it a whirl. Should have done it in March, I know. But maybe....

o

It's probably too late to start seeds, but I'll give it a whirl. Should have done it in March, I know. But maybe....

o

LOL! I've had some vines like that. I almost feared that I'd wake up in the night, and they'd be looking in the window. (with the sound of "Jaws" in the background. :)

o

catherinet, haha...yeah...we're going away next week on vacation, and I'm afraid it's going to start swimming in the neighbors pool ;) (they haven't filled it up yet, but, can you imagine? LOL!)

o

LOL! They may end up with a pumpkin watergarden! Have fun on your vacation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here