Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please identify cucumber problem

Posted by BasicPoke NE OK (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 22:59

Hello, I am having a problem on some of the leaves of my cucumber. Please see pic. This started near the ground and is moving up. It seems to be limited to the longest vine (or whatever it's called, I don't mean one plant). I see some black beetles about 1/4" long here and there but they are not concentrated on the affected leaves.

What is this and what can I do about it?

(I also posted this in Oklahoma Gardening on this site but not getting any answers.)
Thanks
Ron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please identify cucumber problem

I think I had that problem with my cucumbers before, and I'm not sure but my best bet would be it's downy mildew..
Nothing is 100% effective on this disease except for preventing it from happening at the first place. You just wait until the cucumbers will die, and I'm not sure but I heard that if you'll apply a copper based fungicide on leaves it'll help, but it'll only slow it down a bit and not completely stop it.

o

Snip off the worst, try some fungicide, and try to water from underneath. My cucumbers had this last year, and for some crazy reason they didn't die until the end of the summer! I've seen pictures of some other gardeners' and mine never got that bad, it only affected the leaves. My plants were hideous, but they kept producing, which makes me think it may have been a different strain of downy mildew? I had a ton of huge cukes. This year I started spraying since the first pointed leaves appeared...there are a few spots, but I hope those are just bugs.

o

I'd say it's angular leaf spot. This isn't such bad news as downy mildew.

Maxim's advice will work with this disease, too. Copper fungicide is recommended.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here