Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rio_grande124

Fall veggies

Rio_Grande
10 years ago

I keep getting fliers saying it is time to plant fall veggies. My only concern is we have 90 deg days yet. Won't things like broccoli, salad greens and spinach bolt almost immediately if they germinate at all? I did put some lettuce under the shade cloth and they are coming along but very slowly. Kinda afraid to pull the cloth back that it will cook them. Also the snap peas, will they start. In this kind. Of weather? I am new to fall gardening.

Comments (2)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I don't know how long the 90f days will be around , BUT for most of the fall crop it will take at lest a month to germinate and grow to small seedlings and by then hopefully, it will cool off

Most fall gardeners start those fall crops in cells, in shade during germination time, then move them to partial sun as they grow. And transplant, when it has cooled off a bit. I am doing this right now with bunching onions. The poit is that there is a window of time that this should be done. I done TOO LATE, obviously it will be just that TOO LATE.

• txtom50
    10 years ago

If you live in the Rio Grande valley (as your screen name implies) its probably several months too early for fall planting. The chart I have shows most fall planting is done September - December in deep south Texas.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?