Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine_nj

Zucchini and Spaghetti Squash

christine_nj
15 years ago

Hi! New poster here and I'm hoping you could help me with a question.

My zucchini and and spaghetti squash plants are thriving. The leaves are full and lush. The spaghetti squash is growing out of control. There's a ton of non-pollinated flowers. And some zucchini and squash are growing.

My problem is that after a few days of growing and looking wonderful, the zucchini and the squash start to wilt and soften and just rot on the vine.

Any idea why this is? I really want to harvest some of them.

Comments (13)

• slashy
    15 years ago

I think you have a pollination problem, and probably need to hand-pollinate. This sounds exactly like what was happening to me early in my first season (last year). I got absolutely no zucchini crop to speak of until I started hand-pollinating, then I got heaps.

Here's what you need to do: pick off a 'male' flower (the one without the zucchini-shaped bulge beneath it), strip off the petals, and stick the stamen right down inside the pistils of the female flower (this is the one with the zucchini-shaped bulge beneath it). One 'male' flower should work for quite a few 'female' flowers. If the terminology is confusing, check Wikipedia or have a look around the web for some diagrams the male and female bits of squash flowers- once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

Let us know if this works, because if it's not pollination it could be some other issue. But with squash, my instinct is always to try hand-pollinating before deciding it's some other problem.

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    15 years ago

I've been hand pollinating this week for the first time. There is a post (prob in the 1st 2 pages) that explained everything with pics and details. It's actually very easy to do!

Check the posts for anything having to do with squash, pumpkins, etc. I don't remember the name of the post! I'm so sorry!

Once you find the post, scroll down and there's a link with full instructions. I'll look around and see if I can find it for you. LC Grace

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    15 years ago

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg0611545713356.html

I found it for you! I don't know to add a link to the post but you should be able to put the above info into your "search" or address line and bring it up. Good luck!! LC Grace

• christine_nj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unfortunately I don't think it's a pollination issue. Because vegetables are growing. But then they start to rot on the vine (while the vines stay completely healthy).

Here are

I hope that helps.

• wvtomatoman
    15 years ago

"Unfortunately I don't think it's a pollination issue."
    Based on the pictures you provided I still think it is a polination issue. If the large cucumber in the last picture rots post back.

Good luck.

Randy

• alfie_md6
    15 years ago

I still think it's pollination too.

• susaneden
    15 years ago

I just pollinated a spag. squah flower with a zucchini, as there are no males on the SS plant yet :D might have to save that seed to see what comes of it (they are both C. pepo).

• karen_pgh
    15 years ago

Randy meant to say if the large zucchini(not cuke) in the last photo wilts and rots, post back. And yep it is a pollination problem. Very easy to hand pollinate.

Someone else had posted that you can try and cut back some of the large leaves around the male flowers to help the bees find then. I have done that also and it does help.

• therealtrooper
    15 years ago

wow i just learned so much about my squash and zucchini...this site is great...

what about desert heat?.. i am extreme zone 9.

• christine_nj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Based on what I read in few other posts I was thinking Blossom End Rot for the zucchini, but more then likely a pollination problem with the spaghetti squash. But if you all think it's pollination, I'll go out today and see about helping things along.

Thanks everyone!

• Mama2Luvu
    9 years ago

Did you ever determine if it was a pollination issue? I planted S.Sq for the first time this year and I have one that is about 1.5 inches long and looks healthy. However, my daughter barely bumped it today and the blossom fell off. I wonder if it will now rot? How do I know if it was already pollinated? Do the little fruits show up before it is pollinated? How long to the blossoms remain on?

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Mama2Luvu- Was the blossom dried up and shriveled, yellow and open, or was it green and unopened? In any case, you'll know soon if it was pollinated or not. If it was, it will grow. If it wasn't, it will fall off. And a female blossom always has a little fruit behind it from the time the flower starts to grow (before it's pollinated).

Rodney

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

A few of my early ones looked like that. I origionly thought my daughter's bad watering while we were gone for 2 weeks was the culprit, but it also could have been bad pollination.
    Either way, I've got one zuk and one crooknecked yellow that are producing like gangbusters! Nancy