Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tango celery

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 23:52

I've always read that celery is very difficult, so I've never seriously tried celery. I've tried the dwarf "gold" variety which is recommended in books, it grew, but all I got was a multicluster of tough chewy small stalks that were pretty much inedible.

I tried some 'Tango' transplants for fun this year... grew easily and is the best celery I've ever eaten, a great snack.

Is 'Tango' really that good? Or did I just get lucky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tango celery

No idea. But I know that celery needs a lot of water.

Rodney

o

I'm growing Tango for the first time this year, as well as Red Venture and Tall Utah. I grew Tall Utah last year and other than bugs towards the end of the summer (grasshoppers and some sort of worm) I didn't think it was particularly difficult.

I sell at a farmers' market and didn't know if anyone would be interested in organic celery, but it always sold out quickly. That's why I'm trying some different varieties this year and growing more of it.

Noki, do you blanch your celery with paper or anything? I don't, so my celery is darker green than the stuff in the store, with a stronger taste. I like it that way, and have gotten good feedback from customers. The leaves are almost like an herb by themselves.

I'm attaching a pic of the Red Venture. This season's celery is still on the small side, but I may cut some this week just to taste it. I doubt the red will taste as good as the green, but we'll see.

o

The probable reason celery is selling well is because celery is at the top of the environmental working group's dirty dozen list. That's the list of fruits and veggies that is worth getting organic.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 22:52

In fact if you try to grow celery in the desert you can expect trouble. I do believe that my invasive celery is Utah. I never plant it, and it grows in near full shade, where now it has its own bed since last year. It is very strong, but we freeze pillow bags of the stuff every year, and it reseeds at an astonishing rate. A handful of leaves and a tbsp of salt flavor a whole chicken, and we have solved for good the problem of having greens for stock (we have soup every day in winter, and several times a week in summer). My wife also puts it in her juices. If I were to plant it in the sun surely I, too, could sell it at the farmer market. I am amazed at how trouble free it is in heavy, moist soil in Michigan.

o

Just try not to eat too much raw celery as there are some known carcinogens in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here