Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avocado101

Best tasting corn? Opinions anyone?

avocado101
12 years ago

I have 3 different types of corns growing in my backyard. The best yield came from yellow corns, but the taste is so so. I also have these white and yellow kerneled corn, and this taste sweeter. I don't know the name of this corn. Third one is some red colored corn that my wife bought last year from some local market. The yield and size are smallest of the three but they taste really good and they are very chewy. For next year, I would like to plant better tasting corns instead of the yellow corns, but I don't know any names of corn varieties. What's your favorite? Maybe I look for it and plant the tastier type.

Comments (17)

• denninmi
    12 years ago

One problem with answering this question is that taste is so subjective. I personally prefer the modern hybrids that have an extremely high sugar content. Some people find those "swee and flavorless" and enjoy old fashioned "field corn" which has very little sweetness.

My absolute favorite to date is Sun and Stars hybrid from Burpee, an Sh2 bicolor. I also really enjoy Burpee's red sweet corn, Ruby Queen and their white SugarPearls, both SE corns. And, even though its been on the market now for almost 50 years, its still hard to beat Illini Xtra Sweet, basically the first Sh2 corn and still among the best.

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    12 years ago

Last year we planted "That's Delicious" by Henry Field. It is the best sweet corn I have harvested. It will last a while in the refrigerator too. Heretofore I thought Peaches 'n Cream was the best, but "That's Delicious" far surpasses it.

You have to be careful what varieties you plant in proximity to others. That's Delicious is an Sh2 variety that must be planted far away from non Sh2 varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: That's Delicious

• avocado101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why does one corn must be isolated from other types? "That's Delicious is an Sh2 variety that must be planted far away from non Sh2 varieties. "

• fusion_power
    12 years ago

sh2 is a recessive gene which means that crossing an sh2 with anything else results in basically field corn.

DarJones

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Mine doesn't have a sexy name. But ACX 7905 from Harris seeds is very good corn. It's an augmented supersweet. I got it because it's highly rust resistant, a late season problem here. It is very sweet and very tender.

• spiced_ham
    12 years ago

A common red sweetcorn is Ruby Queen. Many people like it. It is a sugary enhanced "se" corn so is sweeter than normal but not as sweet as the supersweet "sh2" corns.

• sportsman1
    12 years ago

There are so many corns it is understandable to get mixed up.There are SU,SE,and SH2 varieties.Plus now those lines have blured with the new sinergistic and augmented varieties that are a combination of those three.

My family loves the new augmented corns.They are super sweet and tender.Our favorite is Extra-tender 277A.We also like the Mirai corns.....131Y and 421 which are a yellow and a white.This year I am trying one called Vision.

If you plant any of the SH2's or augmented ones thety must be isolated from the SU or SE varieties.As stated above cross polination will ruin them.

I have yet to meet someone who has tried 277A and doesn't want more.

Color of the corn means absolutely nothing.These kinds come in all the colors.

• bigpinks
    12 years ago

Stuck on Silver King. Havent raised but 3 or 4 diff varieties but SK has big ears and is very sweet(SE). One thing I would like to say on this subject is how pleased I am with the results of cleaning corn well and vacuum sealing and freezing. Works extremely well without the trouble of blanching and does not taste like the cob. I put up enough for 2 dozen meals every yr. Give it a try.

• rnewste
    12 years ago

sportsman1,

Just about to harvest my early crop of Northern Extra-sweet over the next 10 days:

{{gwi:42895}}

{{gwi:91615}}

Then will be planting the 277A Xtra-tender, based on your recommendation in a post last year. Really looking forward to trying the 277A.

Raybo

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

For information, Both plantfiles and Vegetable Varieties for Gardeners (Cornell) list varieties in order of popularity.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    12 years ago

I've tried many sh2 and se varieties over the years and the one I keep coming back too is Ambrosia se. (a bi-color).

• sportsman1
    12 years ago

Last year I grew 277A,Vision,Northern SS,and Mirai 421.All were good although Northern SS is an older SH2 and I mainly grew it becauase it is about the earliest SH2.The newer augmented SS are better.

We liked 421,Vision,and 277A.My family still prefers 277A.They always ask me when the bicolor 277A is ready,even though the others are earlier.

One more positive about 277A is that a lot of the stalks have 2 ears,with 18-20 rows of small great tasting kernels.Not so for earlier varieties.This year I am planting all 3 of them again plus the white How Sweet It Is.But if I could only plant 1 it would be 277A.

I will be tranplanting Vision and will be starting them in jiffy pots this weekend.My goal is always to get a good corn ready to eat in July.With Northern SS I made it last year on July 29.

• jolj
    12 years ago

Silver Queen & Old Henry.
    As a child on the farm I remember, we planted the field corn early & the sweet/canning corn after frost. So the field corn was ripe long before the sweet corn. We eat the field corn until it got chalky,by then the sweet corn was in.
    Raybo, I see you followed the rule of planting corn at least 4 plant wide & 4 plants deep. Nice corn field you have their.
    Did you start it inside?

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    12 years ago

So many choices and so many different tastes to be had. Personally I detest extra chewy corn, and prefer a tender corn both yellow and bi-color. Generally, I like a small kerneled corn with 16 or more rows.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

"Personally I detest extra chewy corn, and prefer a tender corn both yellow and bi-color."

I agree, chewy corn is past it's prime. My dear old Dad would always tell me "That corn ain't ready boy, quit picking it!" I would sneak out and pick it while he wasn't watching!

• sportsman1
    12 years ago

1 thing I have learned about corn is that it loves nitrogen fertilizer.Since corn is basically a grass.....I started planting mine after broadcasting high nitrogen lawn fertilizer.My sweet corn loves it.As long as it gets water.

• KerenR
    12 years ago

Honey Select from Renfrow's in Matthews, NC. I grew that my first year, and don't think I will ever try anything else! Loved everything about it.