Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nightrun86

Parris Island Cos (Lettuce) -- halp!

nightrun86
10 years ago

Hey folks,

I've been (trying to) grow lettuce unsuccessfully throughout the summer, maybe i should chalk this up to the heat, but perhaps someone here has some input.

The attached picture is of Parris Island Cos (Romaine) Lettuce, approximately 3 weeks old, and they aren't anywhere near "thriving."

They remain indoors 24/7, and are exposed to two lights. One cool (2700k) and one daylight (6500k) 23W 100W Equivalent CFL bulbs. The lights are suspended ~5 inches above the plants for ~14 hours a day; the rest of the day, they're put in a dark region of the house.

I have a small fan set to low simulating a small breeze and hopefully prevent any type of damping off from occurring.

The soil is home-made, 1/3 coconut coir, 1/3 horticulture sand, 1/3 organic compost all mixed up and baked in the oven until it was pasteurized.

they're watered every other day via bottom feed. and top fed a small bit of water individually twice daily. The soil is never wet, and dries out fairly quickly.

The temperature indoors has never exceeded 80�F, under lights it sits around 72-77�F and during simulated night they sit around 65�F.

Any ideas here folks? I'm a bit frustrated, I've never babied plants so much in my life to see them in such a poor state of being. Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)