Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would this work for curing sweetpotatoes?

Posted by Slimy_Okra 2B (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 0:34

I have a broken fridge. It's out of coolant, so it just runs a bit warmer than room temperature. I thought I could store the harvested sweet potatoes in there, and maybe insert a large (50 W) heating mat at the bottom to bump temps. up to the recommended 85 degrees. The SPs themselves should contribute to bumping up the humidity inside the fridge.

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would this work for curing sweetpotatoes?

I put them in my car in the hot sun for a few days.

o

I'd be concerned about lack of airflow. Maybe you could have the heat mat on but the door open, but that seems pretty wasteful with energy.

This year I'm going to simply keep them in milk crates in the basement for a couple months for curing. They do cure even if temps do not get high as long as night-time is not too cool, so a dry basement (or house) that is between 60-70 all the time will eventually cure them.

o

We never cure our sweet potatoes and we usually use them all up by mid March, or earlier. We dig them and put them in boxex or crates and put them in the basement. We also dig and sell most of ours the same week. If they don't sell, they get some time to cure in the basement too.

When I read about curing, it usually says to heal over cuts and scrapes. We dig all our by hand so we rarely, if ever, have any scrape or cuts.

Jay

o

As I said, they cure over time regardless, if they don't get too cold and have some air, otherwise they get the fungus. Sometimes when I eat one right after digging it isn't sweet - exposure to warm air sweetens them.

Some soils are light and warm enough to cure them in the ground, sandy soil in the deep south as an example.

o

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 16:23

But the real question is: Slimy, did you get a tuber crop in the Yukon, or wherever you are? holy cow.

o

Thanks everyone. I guess I will just cure them on the upper floor of my home (basement is around 55 degrees).
Glib, I'm in Saskatchewan :). Our absolute lows in winter are not much warmer than in the Yukon, but we have warmer summers and a somewhat longer growing season. Actually, we're going through an unusual late summer heatwave with highs in the mid- 80s for at least 10 days now. I haven't checked all the SPs yet but one of the plants I checked has a tuber the size of a smallish grocery store carrot. So, pretty small but there's still a month left before I dig them. I'll even be happy if they're all carrot-sized.

o

I think your idea for the fridge will work fine. I've done it in a small closet with a heater and some moist towels and cured 3-4 hundred pounds like that. If I remember right, I left them in there for a week and the flavor was radically different after curing. The sugar levels jumped and the skins became much less likely to scuff. They held all winter long with very little rot.
If you're worried about lack of air flow, just open the door briefly a few times a day.

-Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here