Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_2007

Whats with my onions, Looking for all the onion tips I can get

dan_2007
15 years ago

Hi, I have a photo of my onions below as pitiful as they are. I really don't get what I did wrong. I planted seedlings from the garden center in April, They were evenly watered, good amount of fertilizer, good soil, full sun and I keeped them weeded.

The middle ones are cooking onions so they are probaly about the right size but the ones to the side are red onions and some kind of onion that was supposed to get to the size of a soft ball.

Will they keep growing since they fell over? What can I do next year so they do better? Any advice is welcome!

Also just incase anyone is interested, the white tunnel has my fall broccoli crop in it. The farthest little seedlings are radishes, the bare spot besides the radishes will have fall beets sown once the radishes get going. The tall weedy thing is carrots that bolted, going to try and save the seed. Beside the onions is celery that I am blanching with 1 gallon pots.

{{gwi:98428}}

Comments (12)

• dan_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

forgot to add that they fell over just as the bulbs start to plump, been flat for a good month.

• grandpop1
    15 years ago

When they fall over, they're generally done producing. When growing bulb onions it's important to get them in the ground early so they can grow lots of leaves before they begin bulbing. There is one layer of onion for each leaf and so more leaves equals bigger onions. Plant them as early in the spring as the ground can be worked. Depending upon variety they begin bulbing when they start getting 14 - 16 hours of direct sunlight, so you want a big healthy plant by then - also planting in full sun is needed for big onions. My yellow (candy) and white (superstar) both produced softball sized bulbs, but I've yet to find a red one that will do that - suggested variety appreciated. Finally, you must plant the right type onion for your area - which your garden center should be selling, but long day varieties will not get big in the south for example. Check out www.dixondalefarms.com for a good description of varieties and growing conditions.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Agree, much earlier planting and be sure to use varieties suitable for your zone. I think zone 5 is long-day varieties only so you may want to do some research into the different long-day, short-day, and intermediate varieties.

Dave

• dan_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think a cold frame will be in order next season. April is the earliest I can plant unless they can take snow. I will have to look into long day varieties and start them myself so I know what I am getting.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Check out Dixondale Farms for day length info, plants, and growing tips.

• use2less
    15 years ago

a good onion to plant in the fall if you can get sets is stuttgartt. They will overwinter and come up in the spring. I am in zone 5 and they work for me. Fresh onions for the table in may is great.

• grandpop1
    15 years ago

You don't need a cold frame and you don't need to start your own - just follow the advice you've been given and you'll be successful

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    15 years ago

Those in the picture could use more sun and elbow room on the sides of the rows.

• dan_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have looking through the dixondale link, I am located in Ontario, Canada though so they can not ship plants here. I will defiantly look for seed of the plants they sell.

The onions get a lot of sun, from sun up to 4-5pm, south facing so there is lots of rays and heat. I will be giving them some more room next season but I only have so much room, maybe I will do two rows as appose to 3.

I am going to have to find these stuttgartt sets, I have lots of room from fall-spring.

Thanks for all the info!

• aulani
    15 years ago

Hey dan,

What are you using in your white tunnel to keep the fabric up off the seedlings? I find your tunnel interesting. I grow my seedlings in a deep pot with plastic wrap secured with a giant rubber band -- sort of a mini greenhouse. I might try your tunnel if you tell me about it.

• flora2b
    15 years ago

I start my candy onion seed in Jan/Feb under lights in the house and transplant in April to the garden. If it is real cold I cover the plants with remay cloth as you have broccoli.
    Seeds need the extra time to get going and if they get too tall in the pots, I just snip them off with scissors, makes them bulk up with leaves.
    flora2b

• dan_2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aulani - I just used wire hangers, twist/bend them apart and just stick them in the ground. If you want a more perminate approach you could sink rebar into the ground on either side, put pvc electrical conduit over one rebar and bend over to the corresponding rebar. I am thinking of doing this next year because the hangers will rust out pretty fast. Here is a link were you can purchase floating row cover from Johnny's

flora2b - Thanks for the time frame, I have a metal halide light for over wintering plants so I will defiantly start some under it in January. I am figuring the seedlings I purchased were not started early enough, they were rather small, just two or three leaves.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists