Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uscjusto

How many cucumbers can grow on single plant simultaneously?

uscjusto
10 years ago

I have a burpless hybrid and it seems like my plant can only grow/support a single cucumber at a time. All the female flowers die when there is a cucumber growing.

Whe I harvest that cucumber, another one grows and the cycle repeats.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I get multiple cucumbers to grow at once?

Comments (6)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

That is quite unusual. A cuke plant can have more than half a dozen fruits, at various stages at its peak. BUT if you leave one or more too loo long (for seed or by accident), then it might shut down.

It is likely that your growing conditions are not up to par.

• uscjusto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I give it about 1" of water a week and fertilize with fish emulsion + kelp.

It started off as a weak plant after it was attacked by slugs and wilted under the heat. But it survived and is producing 1 cuke at a time and continues to grow taller everyday.

I was just wondering how I could get more cucumbers off of it simultaneously.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

First: Where are you located ? What are daily high/low temperature? How many hours of sun ?

Second: Generally speaking , I inch of water per week seems to be not enough for cucumber plants. I would easily water them twice a week.

Third: Best way would have been to have riche fertilized soil at planting and the supplement . At this stage, cucumber can benefit from any balanced fertilizer, or some with slightly rich in Phosphorous(for fruiting).

What color are the leaves : light green, medium green, dark green ? . You have to read your plants.

• uscjusto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in sacramento, CA. Highs have been in the low 100's and lows are in 50's. 8+ hours of full sun for this plant.

The cuke was planted as a start and it was planted in fertile compost with an organic slow release fertilizer.

I attached a photo of the newest cuke that's growing with the surrounding leaves.

I'll start watering twice a week.
    What's a good organic phosphorus fertilizer?

Thanks for the help.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Hi uscjusto

First off, your plant look just fine.

I think, it can use more water(in triple digit), as I said before. I inch of water per week is probably not enough. Then one inch over how big an area ?

I would fertilize it with PHOSPHOROUS rich (poor in Nitrogen) fertilizer, the so-called BLOOM BOOSTER type. After all, you want fruits not foliage.
    P.S.
    Another reason, your cuke is not producing is because of heat. Do you see some blossom drops? But, if your soil has good drainage, water them more often.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

The long, Asian type cukes do seem to produce fewer but larger fruits. That said, the advice here should help you get more production than one at a time.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!