Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Radishes Indoors: Concerns about Soil Choice and Pests

Posted by nephifofum 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 0:57

I couldn't find a section dedicated to indoor gardening. I hope it's okay to post this here.

I want to grow radishes from seeds, and doing it outdoors is not an option. I've read that it can be done indoors, but I'm left with two concerns.

Some directions said to use "sterilized" soil, while others said that if I don't use compost, my vegetables will not contain the nutrients that make the vegetable healthy. I ended up buying Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix:
For container vegetables, fruits, flowers & herbs
Made from natural & organic ingredients
Continuously feeds up to 2 months

#1. Is this a good soil to grow radishes (and other vegetables) indoors?
#2. I can't have bugs. I live in a tiny apartment and don't have a special area I can dedicate to these vegetables. They are going to have to sit in the same window as my houseplants. If I use this potting mix "as is," will I get bugs? If I use an insecticide, can I get completely rid of the bugs and not have them spread to my other plants or have them crawling/flying around my apartment?

Is my choice to grow these radishes indoors a realistic one?

I sure would appreciate any and all opinions. This will be my first plant grown from seed, my first edible plant, and my first edible plant grown indoors.

By the way, how do you get seeds from radishes??

Thank you!

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Radishes Indoors: Concerns about Soil Choice and Pest

I'm curious why you want to grow radishes in the first place, if you don't really have room for them?

The radish is a root there is no way to "get seeds" from it. If you were to plant a store bought radish it will send up a flower spike (could be 3 - 4 feet tall) and then it will flower and form seeds, which could talk months. This is why you should just buy a packet of seeds from a store. Anywhere that sells vegetable seeds has radish seeds. Though most stores sell seeds in spring so who knows what is left.

I really doubt a window sill is enough light for radishes, which require full sun. You'll probably have to buy grow lights.

I certainly don't want to discourage you, but you have chosen an interesting way to get into gardening.

Just get as big a pot as you can. Fill it with your potting mix, which is great for your purpose. Plant the seeds following the directions on the seed packet. Then give them as much light as possible and be sure to water. You're no more likely to get bugs on your radishes than you are on your other house plants. Using an insecticide indoors sounds like a bad idea. Whatever you use be sure to read the label because not all chemicals can be used on vegetables (could poison you).

o

The idea of growing radishes (and lettuce) indoors year 'round is interesting. I've thought about trying it. Maybe your post will spur me to actually do it.

I think any potting mix would be fine. Insects will not be a problem.

Vegetables need a lot of light. I would use 4 foot florescent shop lights running 14 hours per day and located very close to the top of the plants.

Jim

o

weirdtrev - I have a SMALL amount of room to grow radishes indoors, while I have NO opportunity to grow them outdoors (no garden space, stray cats that like to pee on everything, hateful neighbors who wouldn't hesitate to steal the vegetables or the whole pot for that matter, etc.) I have room for a 10" pot; I just don't have a separate section, like a garage or a balcony, to grown them, and I was worried about pests harming my house plants. I chose radishes because they are a second season vegetable and go from seeds to edibles in a relatively short amount of time. I was just curious about how radish seeds are "made." I have already ordered a packet of Fire 'N Ice seeds from Burpee.

jimster - Thanks for the advice. I will probably have to do something with artificial light, as this is WA, and our days of sun will be disappearing before too long.

o

For a 10" pot, a high wattage compact florescent bulb in one of those aluminum clip on reflectors may work. But I have not done that so don't take my word for it. Do a little research before making the investment.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here