Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nephifofum

Growing Radishes Indoors: Concerns about Soil Choice and Pests

nephifofum
11 years ago

I couldn't find a section dedicated to indoor gardening. I hope it's okay to post this here.

I want to grow radishes from seeds, and doing it outdoors is not an option. I've read that it can be done indoors, but I'm left with two concerns.

Some directions said to use "sterilized" soil, while others said that if I don't use compost, my vegetables will not contain the nutrients that make the vegetable healthy. I ended up buying Miracle-Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix:

For container vegetables, fruits, flowers & herbs

Made from natural & organic ingredients

Continuously feeds up to 2 months

#1. Is this a good soil to grow radishes (and other vegetables) indoors?

#2. I can't have bugs. I live in a tiny apartment and don't have a special area I can dedicate to these vegetables. They are going to have to sit in the same window as my houseplants. If I use this potting mix "as is," will I get bugs? If I use an insecticide, can I get completely rid of the bugs and not have them spread to my other plants or have them crawling/flying around my apartment?

Is my choice to grow these radishes indoors a realistic one?

I sure would appreciate any and all opinions. This will be my first plant grown from seed, my first edible plant, and my first edible plant grown indoors.

By the way, how do you get seeds from radishes??

Thank you!

Dave

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio