Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
containerator

Does sea magic fertilizer work?

Chelsea
10 years ago

I bought sea magic fertilizer from burpee, because of all the good reviews, but now I'm starting to doubt all those great comments. Have you used it? Does it work?

Comments (10)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

It works, but most people won't need it if their soil is in good shape to begin with, especially as a foliar feed.

The claims made on the Burpee site about it (and plagiarized/echoed on many other sties which leads me to believe it's just cut/pasted marketing material provided by the manufacturer) about increased yields is quite exaggerated, though. If it was that easy to get better yields over having healthy soil to begin with every commercial veggie grower around would be using it to get 25-50% more yield on their crops.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

It will work as well as the ingredients that are in it.

• Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How well do the ingredients in it work, edweather?

• silverkelt
    10 years ago

Anything with the hyperbole of the below is too good to be true, doesnt mean it will not help growth and production, but marketing is marketing is marketing... If you do not have rich health soil to start with, its not going to help that much.

"Spray-on wonder elixir for super growth.
    Customer Favorite!

Just spray Sea Magic on your plants and watch them grow��"and grow. Sea Magic all-natural formula promotes robust growth, bountiful blooms and better-tasting crops. Made from seaweed harvested in the North Atlantic, Sea Magic micro-nutrients, amino acids, growth-promoting and disease-fighting powers help deliver magical yields: 24% more tomatoes, 47% more peppers, 34% more cucumbers and 25% more grapes. Sea Magic is super-concentrated��"a single packet makes up to 60 gallons��"enough to treat all your plants for months. Works wonders on all types of flowers, too."

For the price you can always attempt to use it. If it does have benefits, spending less then ten bucks for one seasons worth isnt going to break the bank at least.

10 years ago

I don't know. What is in it? Does the label say? Maybe you could post a picture of it, or if it's not on the bottle, maybe the manufacturer will tell you.

10 years ago

I did a quick search, and on Wikipedia it says that it's seaweed, and used as fertilizer, and has macro's and micros. My only question is 'how much?' If the actual amounts of NPK etc were revealed, I'd probably realize that I was paying too much. But I'm only assuming.

• Chelsea
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, thanks everyone. I guess I'll do some sort of experiment to find out if I should buy it again once I get it in the mail.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have the same questions as Edweather.

I can buy some cheap dried see weed from Asian markets and make tea with it (For the plans, I mean). Actually I have done it few years ago. But then I fed through the roots not foliar. I cannot remember about the results because I was not doing a research.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Not to speak for Ed but i think the point being made is all the ingredients in it are also available in many other fertilizer products and often at much less cost.

Simplistically put, fertilizer is fertilizer is fertilizer and any fertilizer will work only when and if there is a need for it. When sufficient nutrients are already available to the plant from the soil it is growing in then adding more of anything is just a waste of money.

This particular brand has no special magic built into it's contents despite all its marketing hype.

Dave

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Amen Dave.

I am always skeptical of these "GET RICH FAST!" type of claims.

It is already known what the plants need to thrive.

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company