Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Various August questions in Massachusetts zone 6

Costata Romanesca Summer Squash - how large should you let them get when you pick them? -- The older leaves are getting what looks like PM, I just keep cutting them off. As long as it is producing I should just ignore them?

Trionfo de Violette Pole Beans -- are the leaves supposed to have a purple cast to them? [the beans are purple] Or is it a deficiency of some sort?

Are you fertilizing weekly right up until frost, even when fruits are ripening?

Is it better to leave a mature Broccoli Arcadia plant to produce side shoots after you've harvested a head or to pull it out and add a young Broccoli Packman transplant?

Can you direct sow Scallions now in Massachuetts zone 6?

Do you collect seed from - Bok Choy, Cilantro, Dill, other? Or do you just allow them to self seed?

Comments (6)

• pnbrown
    9 years ago

I would think it's a little late for scallions from seed now. If you want to send me an SASE I'll fill it up with bulbils of walking onion - they make excellent scallions and you'll never have to worry about sowing them again.

Costata holds its eating quality to a larger size than many varieties, but still I like to get them on the smallish side - less than a foot long, say.

• planatus
    9 years ago

I think you're stuck with your Arcadia because it's too late to set out Packman unless you're going to install a tunnel or something.

I collect some dill and cilantro seeds for cooking and planting and allow a few plants to self sow.

I just sowed overwintering onions which will grow under a tunnel all winter. Brown is right about topsets from walking onions making great scallions for fall and again in spring. Can't beat 'em. I have a couple of perennial bunching onions and they are slobs compared to the walking onions.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PNBrown, great, our Costata are just at 12 inches, so we'll keep them that size. And thanks very much for the offer of walking onion bulbils, I may take you up on that. I'll email you through GW! I appreciate it!

Planatus, I have some Remay fabric I could cover them with, do you think that would work for the Packman? I wonder what this winter is going to be like, after last year. A nice warm long fall or a short one -- guess we shall soon see.

Good idea with the dill and cilantro, do both and cover your bases. And thanks for the thumbs up for the walking onions. :-)

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

Is it better to leave a mature Broccoli Arcadia plant to produce side shoots after you've harvested a head or to pull it out and add a young Broccoli Packman transplant?

I find that the spring and fall broccoli crops have plenty of space between them so that it isn't an either or thing.

No need to fertilize late in the season.

• User
    9 years ago

My first year with the Trionfo Violetto beans. Got 10 seeds in a GW trade, all 10 germinated! The leaves are colored much like the almost mature beans; dark green with a strong purple tint. They produce well and look healthy, so I guess they're supposed to be that way.

{{gwi:99164}}
    {{gwi:99165}}

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wayne, thatâÂÂs a good idea. I can plant the starts between the mature plants and pull them when they are in the way. Thanks!

And saving me money on fertilizer too. :-)

Oldmobie, oh good that the purple cast on the foliage is supposed to be there. I am really enjoy our vines this year. They are a good size bean and turn green when cooked and I love how easily they pull away from the vine when you are harvesting.

That's a nice cattle panel tunnel you have there too!