Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about diatomaceous earth in compost

Posted by catherinet 5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 6:27

I have chickens and always put their old bedding (wood chips and poo) into the compost. But recently I got to thinking.........I do add diatomaceous earth to the bedding to keep mites and lice down. Would this in the compost kill off any of the good organisms that help decompose the pile?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about diatomaceous earth in compost

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 6:31

Since bacteria can reproduce itself over a million times in 24 hours, it is not of concern in any way.

o

Thanks Drew.

o

I think a better answer is that diatomaceous earth kills insects by acting as a knife in between the cartiliginous plates on their body. It slices them up. Bacteria are small enough that the DE grains can't wedge themselves into, let's say, the underarm of a bacterium. So DE is unlikely to kill them.

The rate of reproduction has little to do with it.

o

There are bigger beasties involved in processing plant material into compost than just microorganisms. Yes, it will harm some of these. No, it doesn't effectively matter much.

o

Thanks grubby.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here