Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rain every day, how can I prevent disease problems

Posted by brass_tacks 8b/GA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 6:57

It has been raining almost every day & we're expecting a great deal more. My young tomato and cucumber plants(started flowering)are looking great, but I don't know how to prevent disease. This is southeast Georgia, so that means hot & humid. I am of the mindset that it won't do any good to spray with anything when the plants are getting drenched daily with rainfall. Even though my gardens are raised and drainage is about as good as it could be, the soil remains soaked. The only idea I've come up with is to give some shelter with plastic tarp hung overhead and then proceed with the fungal-fighting sprays -- like milk and baking soda mixes.

Is my mindset off? Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rain every day, how can I prevent disease problems

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 8:39

That's about as much as you can do. With this kind of precipitation, you should make sure to plant every square inch of uncovered ground with collards or other winter vegetables. They will come up without a problem.

o

I did this for my tomatoes:

The roof serves both to:

1. Avoid overwatering or unplanned watering from heavy / long rains, and
2. Protect from strong sun, the recently planted seedlings / companion plants

You could make a SIMPLE covered structure to avoid overwatering from rain.

Also be sure to hoe often the soil. I use:

Fiskars Garden Hoe
Union Tools V-Blade Garden Hoe
Nejiri Gama Hoe
CobraHead Weeder and Cultivator

As of spraying I would recommend:

Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap Insect Killer
Safer 3-in-1 Garden SprayGoogle

I also like Safer Garden Dust. All three products are OMRI listed.

o

Thanks for your suggestions. My beds have hoops over them, so I'm hanging plastic. I've hung some sticky whitefly traps & am going to go ahead and spray with milk water, and spread some cornmeal. I'm thinking that spraying the soil with hydrogen peroxide might be helpful --I saw on one of your posts that you constructed a kind of support to keep your cucumbers off the ground -- nice! I'll have to copy your idea next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here