Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedlings

Posted by andrews40 none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 12 at 7:21

Doing an engine search i cam accros a blog about transplanting tomatoe seedlings and it advises to put them to the depth of the seed leafs this i havent done defore is it correct and if so should you do this with all veg seedlings.
Brett

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedlings

It isn't really a matter of 'correct' or 'incorrect'. Either way will work. The reason for planting them deeper when you transplant is that tomatoes have the ability to grow new roots from the stem and this anchors them firmly. This does not apply to most other vegetables, although you can do it with Brassicas ie cabbage family veggies. It is especially useful for Brassicas which are going to overwinter outside as it helps them stand up to winter winds.

o
RE: seedlings

As Flora says, tomatoes readily root all along the stem. So, when moving my small seedlings from a flat to individual cups, I plant them as deeply as the cup allows. When setting seedlings out in the garden, I bury a good length of stem, leaving only a few sets of leaves above ground, depending on how tall the plants are. If they are really tall, I may place the lower portion of the plant horizontally in a trench. I think this allows the plants to produce a lot of roots.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here