Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing carrots over winter

Posted by orangedragonfly z6 mass (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 8:22

I thought I just read this in another post. Is this possible on the Mass eastern coast? Ive had carrots in the ground for a month, and they only have about 3-4 inches of growth on top and look tiny. Will they be ok to eat in the spring next year? I always hear about woody carrots, will this happen if I leave them in the ground until next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing carrots over winter

I sow my fall/winter carrots in mid July, and mine are about 4 inches tall. When it starts to get really cold, I cover the whole bed thickly with hay, packing it in tightly around the carrots. I dig them on sunny afternoons throughout the winter, digging enough for a couple of weeks. They're sweet and delicious. If you wait until spring to dig, be sure and dig them before they start to grow again.

o
RE: growing carrots over winter

I do the same thing with carrots - mulch them and use them all winter. Sometimes the tops freeze, but most of the carrot is still good and much tastier than store-bought.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here