Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melon advice, Wilt resistant types?

Posted by fresc1000 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 8:41

I tried my hand at melons for the first time this year...and unfortunately think I failed. Have 4 different varieties of heirlooms--MN Midget, Sweet Passion, Valencia and Boule d'Or.

1) I lost all my plants last year to CBs in spring. This year I tried row covers, which were a huge pain because it was so hard to look under the covers and check on my plants. Also seemed like water didn't penetrate well, and the leaves seemed wrinkled up by the pressure of the covers. Ended up removing them well before flowering. Used Agribon brand insect barrier. Any tips?

2) Only 1 or 2 melons are set, and I have 10 plants. Many of my female flowers and small melons withered up. The plants are crawling with bees and all the nearby squashes set like crazy, so I'm not sure it's pollination issue. Ideas?

3) Now all my plants are wilting...after research I believe it is Fusarium. Are there any good Fusarium resistant heirloom or OP varieties out there?????

Thanks for any advice! I'm not growing on a large scale, just want some juicy melons for friends and family.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melon advice, Wilt resistant types?

There are varieties with resistance to Fusarium, but there are lots of diseases of cantaloupes. Most of the resistant varieties will be hybrids. You may wish to try one to determine if Fusarium is the problem. Sarah's Choice, Athena, Goddess, Minerva have done well for me. If you are in the west, there are western types also with resistance to Fusarium but I am not as familiar with them.

o

I will definitely give those a try--thank you! I am in SE Mich.
Have you had any luck with row covers? They seemed to really weigh down my delicate little seedlings early in the season (using them for the Cuc Beetles.)

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 6:48

I'm in SE MI too, no problems with beetles. I would probably just use an insecticide since melons are easily washed. Many products are organic too. I would start with diatomaceous earth. I guess it could be a problem with bees, as it produces and still flowers.
Do the beetles eat the fruit or the foliage? I guess the foliage, if early in the season while still seedlings insecticide would be very useful. DE would work too.

Fusarium wilt stays in the soil, another location would be a good idea. Grow something else in the old spot.
My melons are starting to mature, I harvested the first one a few days ago. My only problems was with powdery mildew, easily knocked back with the proper fungicide.

o

Melons are not for beginners so much. Many diseases after that first "little trial"....make the first one more worthwhile! As stated above, fungal diseases live in the soil and long rotation is needed.

o

except for bacterial wilt, carried by the CBs. I'd really like to see melons resistant to that one.

o

The Raspa watermelons in the home garden are huge and nearly ready. The tendrils turned brown maybe nearly 3 weeks ago, but the other indications say wait....still growing!!!!, dullness, thump, bottom color. The bottom spot is more white than cream yet.

This post was edited by wayne_5 on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 10:59

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here