Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would this work with broccoli?

Posted by catherinet 5 IN (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 8:53

Unfortunately, I let my broccoli just go to seed. Can I just cut the seeds off and they might make some Fall broccoli?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would this work with broccoli?

I think at this point, it's too late. It also depends on the variety since I find some are not good at making side shoots. Once a plant has made seeds, its job is done and time to shut down.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 11:30

Hybrid variety or not? Are the seeds fully dry and mature? If you want to try it this late you will have to plan to cover and protect them from hard freeze. Awfully late for planting from seed in zone 5.

Dave

o

Not a problem as long as it's a variety that produces side shoots(like defrost said)... most do produce side shoots. Just clip off all stalks that have/had flowers on them, and wait for more side shoots. You might even want to let one stalk, or plant, keep flowering so you can save seed.

Kevin

o

Agreeing with defrost. This is best done by removing all summer sprouts as they start to flower.

o

Thanks everyone. The variety is "Packman".

o

I don't think seeds that sprout this late have a chance of making a crop by the end of Oct. In my experience, plants must be established and ready to take advantage of the last warm spells in Aug and Sept to do well.

I'm letting two DeCiccos bloom now because bee forage is falling off and the buzzing brigade likes the flowers.

o

IME Packman does a good job with side shoots.

o

I note that my seedling bok choi has been ravaged this month by pests that I don't see, undeterred by row cover. Another reason not to start broccoli if I can get side shoots from the spring planting.

o

catherinet: These are plants from the Spring, correct?

If so, do what I suggested. You have nothing to lose except a bit of time and water. Like nhbabs said, Packman does a pretty good job at side shoots. You probably noticed that when it was flowering. That's the key to the side shoots --- check them daily... if you see any separation at all, it's time to harvest. If you don't, within a few days, the stalk will get woody and they'll start to flower.

Kevin

o

Yes, these were planted as plants in the spring. I did get alot of side shoots from them, after the main part was cut. I'll give it a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here