Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any cure for bitter carrots?

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 9:12

I planted my carrots on April 9th and they have grown to a nice size and are not woody but they are also not sweet. Will they get sweeter if I leave them in the ground until cooler weather? Should I wait until after frost to harvest them? Maybe I've already waited too long? My soil is rather alkaline (limestone based) maybe that is part of the problem. And is there any way to sweeten the bitter carrots I've already harvested? I may just have to compost them since they're not edible in their current condition. This is one crop where the supermarket variety tastes much better than my home grown varieties. Very disappointing. :( Do you think I would have better luck planting carrots for the cooler fall?

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any cure for bitter carrots?

• Posted by glib 5.5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 08 at 12:06

Frost is 99% of the cure. Then wait two weeks. You can leave them in really, even through the winter if the soil does not freeze. So long as they are watered regularly, they will not turn woody (no water needed after Oct. 15). Next year plant them later, typically in the same plot as lettuce, after you pull lettuce in July. But that is only so you get two crops out of one plot, it does not affect carrot quality.

o

"Not sweet" carrots is not the same as "bitter" carrots. Frost will sweeten carrots, but if they're really bitter, frost won't help. If they're bitter, you may be missing certain soil trace minerals. Try side dressing with Root Crops Alive, from Gardens Alive. It helped tremendously in the early years of my garden before the soil improved.

o

Hey all,

To piggy back Steve's question - my carrots taste fine, but aren't sweet either. The problem with me leaving them in the ground is they're starting to split. If I leave them in any longer, they will split completely and be useless. I don't water very much and figure uneven watering is part of the problem. Any other ideas?

o

Well, my carrots aren't splitting or woody so I guess I'll just leave them in place until after frost and see if they sweeten up. I also just planted a new crop of carrots for the fall/winter and I'll see what they taste like in comparison.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here