Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltilton_gw

Too much rain!

ltilton
9 years ago

The vegetable garden has suffered successive rounds of flooding the last couple of weeks, and I find the consequences interesting.

Lacinato kale and the held-over broccoli drooped their leaves, which is very noticeable in the kale. Other brassicas showed no effect. I note that with a bit of drying off, the leaves have perked upright again.

Fall spinach - drowned and dead. Lettuce just fine.

Found rot in some of the Norland potatoes, pulled the rest. Most were sound. Russets and fingerlings aren't really ready to pull yet, and I'm waffling on leaving them go.

RIpening tomatoes with bad blossom-end rot. Sometimes I just cut off the end and use the rest for cooking, but not this time. Yukky. The leaves on the plants have gone very yellow. Still, they're still producing greenies that look quite sound. Not going to pull them.

One ripe melon was slightly cracked, but surprisingly none of the rest. Yet. Will have to keep sharp eye on the Charentais, none of which are ripe yet, but soon.

Cucumbers - loving it.

Anyone else have rain reports?

Comments (8)

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

Just "Goldilocks" right here - not too much and not too little rain. I haven't watered the garden since planting in June!

In the past, I too have found spinach to be intolerant of waterlogging, while brassicas are more tolerant. Okra is extremely intolerant of it as well.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The peppers are a bit droopy now, too, but It was the extreme flagging of the kale that surprised me.

We missed 3 more rainstorms today and yesterday, for which I am glad. Rain usually comes in too much or too little, rarely "just right".

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I've only had to water once this year, but may have to again this week. Zukes, new kale and mustard looking a little droopy. We've been getting all our rain at once this summer - but had barely 1/4" last week (2 weeks ago tomorrow had almost 2" that day!).

Hoping tomorrow night T-storms will be "just right" - and then not too much over the holiday weekend when rain is predicted every day.

This is the first year I've had BER on tomatoes other than paste - and all my tomatoes are late (except for Black Krim), half of them are almost dead from septoria.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

What's rain?

• loribee2
    9 years ago

LOL Nancy. I was thinking the same thing. We need to build a pipeline out to California!

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

Here in the reliably dry high plains, I don't think we've gone a whole week so far without rain. The ones who are hating the most is the peppers. Not sure if they are going to make it through the rest of the season. We had early onset powdery mildew on the winter squash which ruined the crop for me, and one of my tomato varieties has had severe BER and the others, cracking. Not to mention the gardener who is used to dry air has had congestion and sinus problems for the entire summer.

• ltilton
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cucurbits so far not minding the mud, but the brassicas and tomatoes are doing even worse than the peppers. Some tomato plants gone almost totally yellow, and today I saw that the outer leaves of the cabbages are yellow.

I did spot a low-growing cucumber gone all moldy from lying in the mud. I think I'll put something under the butternut squash fruits.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

We have had more rain than last year, which is lessening the severity of the drought. My place has gotten less than other areas of my small town. It has been nice to see what is possible with some of my perennials with the rain (like the roses) and it has kept some of my vegetables alive that I was prepared to give up on because of pests.

Last September, we received gobs of rain and my red mustard was about 6 feet tall. I loved seeing that.