Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drying corn stalks

Posted by cateyanne zone 5/6 Northern Oh (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 9:47

I have grown stalks of Indian corn this year, which I plan on using for fall decoration. I did the same last year and let them dry in their spot in the garden, only to have them destroyed at the last moment by squirrels trying to get at the ears.
this year I have planted some veggies for late fall harvest and they are being shaded by the large stalks. the stalks are still green, but have the ears on them now. I was wondering if stalks will dry naturally if I pulled them out now and stored them in my garage until I'm ready to place them in the fall decor? It would also protect them from the squirrels. Or do they need to stay in the ground and "dry" there for some reason?
Does anyone know?
Thanks
Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drying corn stalks

Cathy , thanks for the post . I need the same question answered, we have a Pumpkin Patch at our church and I need them also to keep for month and a half, Wishing us luck Guilt Trip

o

As soon as the ears are fully matured ( kernals hard), you can cut the stalks and stand them upright in bunches ( shocks) to complete drying. Before corn pickers our forefathers did thier filed corn this way. You still have to protect them from squirrels and mice.

Here is a link that might be useful: corn shocks

o

• Posted by shot 8 - GA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 11:44

Use to be called fodder.

o

If the ears are not mature and the kernels hard, cutting the stalks now will result in shrunken kernels which won't be very attractive.

Also, if you cut the stalks and dry/store in the garage, they will retain their current color. When the corn matures and the stalks start to dry down or freeze down, the sun and moisture serve to bleach the color out to create the "fall" look. As a result in order to get that fall appearance to the stalks you will need to leave them outside long enough to ripen and dry down. Once there, you can cut the stalks and store where the squirrels won't get them.

o

When they start to turn color, I just cut them and stand the shocks in the sun to dry. Since I've removed the ears, varmits are not an issue.

o

thanks for the responses. I guess they will have to stay up a little longer they are not turning color at all yet.
farmerdilla; thanks for the pictures. I love the pics of the Henry Bridge, gorgeous!

o

I harvested all the corn Im going to get. the ear worms got their share, I thought I would cut bundle and hang the stalks from the shop ceiling, Thanks Guilt Trip

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here