Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help

Posted by mfal none (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 9:50

I make a foolish mistake and I think I know what I have to do, but do not want to admit it . I was attacked by bees in my vegetable garden (they were yellow jackets living in the ground ) will I got so Mad I sprayed Raid bee killer in the soil where I thought I seen them coming from . also on the plant in that area . Can we still harvest and eat the tomatoes and what about the surrounding plants ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help

Yellow Jackets aren't bees, and fortunately Raid doesn't make a "bee killer" spray.

Since these are ground-dwelling insects, there is no need to spray the plants they are near, and as you see, good reason not to,

Anyway, what you need to do now is find the product you used and look at the ingredients. Typically, the active ingredient is something like permethrin, which should do no lasting harm. I would be more worried about the propellant, which is often some petroleum distallate. This is what makes the stuff smell so awful.

I woudn't eat anything you sprayed that stuff directly on, if it's a petroleum product.

o

Technically Yellow Jackets are classified as wasps. Honey bees are related and many if not most folks use the term bee for wasps, hornets and sweat bees as well as honey bees. Most likely the product used was Raid Wasp and Hornet spray which is not particularly hazardous but is certainly not meant to spray on edibles. I agree with ltilton, I would discard any tomato that was directly sprayed. Everything shoudl be clear after a 7-10 day waiting period.

o

The people to ask this question is the company that made the product you sprayed. There should be a phone number or website address on the container. Call/email them and tell them exactly how you used it. They will tell you if/when it's safe to eat the produce that was exposed to the spray.

Always read and follow the label directions on any pesticide you use, most especially near your vegetables.

Sandy

o

• Posted by mfal none (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 22, 14 at 21:47

I understand not to eat any vegetable that can in contact with the spray , my concern is I sprayed it into the soil can the chemical go to the vegetable through the roots ??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here