Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold inside sweet re bell peper

Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 10:04

I have grown peppers for years now and never had a problem until this year. The peppers are large red sweet block peppers that look normal in appearance...until you cut them open. There are moldy spots inside on the walls and most of the seeds are moldy. Other wise the pepper looks great from its outward appearance. Any ideas what's going on here? Very disappointing. Thanks, Luke

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold inside sweet re bell peper

That plastic like outer skin normally seals a pepper pretty well from the outside environment. Something is letting that outside enviroment penetrate to the inside. Look carefully to see if the skin has been pierced in some way. Pay particular attention to the area around the stem. the hole may be very tiny, little more than a pin prick.

o

Is this a new variety of pepper for you? I have experienced something similar. I think it was with a pepper called "Orange Sun". By the time it was orange colored, it was turning black (moldy) inside.

I quit growing it, and started growing a pepper called Ariane, and have not had any problems with it, and it grows well and tasted very good.

A red pepper that has always done well for me is "Brigadier." It starts out green, but is very productive, so I use it for salads all summer, green, and it still produces lots of red peppers in the fall.

o

• Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 18:53

Yes, This was a new variety for me, but a common variety in this area Red Big Bertha...I think. I usually grow Red Monster Bells that are really sweet and really are monsters. This has been an unusual growing season and I guess that I can blame it on the wet spring and the hot summer months. I think that you may be onto something with the excess time that it takes to change from green to red. These peppers are also tough and not as sweet. My wife just made stuffed peppers today and said that 3 out of the 12 peppers were moldy. Well, life goes on and hopefully I can grow my own plants next year with our new greenhouse were putting in next month. Try those monster bells if you get a chance. Thanks, Luke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here