Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
West Central Illinois fall planting question...

Posted by MelissaHess 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 10:24

I've always just planted my garden in the late Spring, let it go wild all summer and have had lots of luck. I've never tried to plant a fall garden. I feel like fall is short lived here in west central Illinois. But if I were to try...say lettuce...do I just plant seeds in the ground like I do in the spring time? What else takes a short time to grow in cool temps? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: West Central Illinois fall planting question...

Spinach is an excellent fall crop . Most Asian greens like tatsoi, bok choy, and all the relatives are good too.

I plant fall seeds slightly deeper than in the spring, because those seeds usually don't like germinating in hot soil and the surface of the soil can still be very hot at this time of year. If you can provide shade during germination and keep the soil moist and cool, that's half the battle won already.

Another difference between fall and spring is that fall seedlings are immediately attacked by insects (for example leaf miners or cabbage worms as the case may be). So lay down insect barrier row cover after you seed spinach, and be ready to use Bt for the caterpillars on brassicas.

The third difference is that there isn't a clear time when the crop is finished (unlike spring when they bolt and that's it). They will just gradually decline and go dormant as the weather cools.

Lettuce will be the first to kick the bucket as it is the least cold hardy of fall crops.

o

I am also in west central Il. I already have planted green beans, peas turnips cabbage, brocilla , califlour, carrots, romaine lettuce, tomatoes in tunnel will plant spinach, radishes as the weather turns a little cooler. john

o

September 1st is a target date for Spinach. It will grow some this fall, and be ready in March and April. The winter doesn't phase it. Also plant spring type radishes Sept 1st. Plant your lettuce now like in the spring. Garlic and shallots 3rd week October. Cut the tops off of mature Spanish white onions and bury them like bulbs ( for big spring green onions). They will grow all winter anytime the snow melts. Plant multiplying onions now and bunching onion seed. Also Mustard and Turnips for greens. Be sure to water everyday and keep the soil a little moist, don't let the seeds dry out when they are germinating.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here