Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Controlling 'Bacterial Leaf Spot' with Pepper plants

Posted by noki OH (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 10:30

I've had bad problems with bacterial leaf spot with pepper plants, the last two years. Very bad this year, a wet spring couldn't help. Cubanelle, has done the best, Italian type peppers were badly affected but have recovered strong enough to produce well, except for Ancient Sweets which has few leaves left. The Bell types they have been pathetic and a total waste of space, many plants the few peppers were small and rotted on the plants.

Other than trying to rotate, what should I do to control the problem? How much of the problem could start with the plants I buy (do not grow from seed)? Pull out the plants early? Should I not plant any pepper plants next year? How do I avoid a chronic problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Controlling 'Bacterial Leaf Spot' with Pepper plants

Biology
Several races of Xanthomonas affect peppers. The organism survives in the soil on infected plant residue and on some weed hosts. It is also seed borne. It can be present on greenhouse surfaces, trays, and equipment which are not properly sanitized.

The bacteria can enter the plant through stomata and wounded tissue. High humidity and moisture encourage disease development.

Period of Activity
Transplanting through early flowering and fruit set. Bacterial spot prefers temperatures of 24- 30�C (75- 86�F). Abundant rainfall and high humidity aid infection.

Scouting Notes
Disease symptoms can appear in the greenhouse during transplant production or in the field. Once symptoms appear, it is difficult to manage this disease. Fruit lesions are not always present. Symptoms often appear different depending on the race of the bacteria, the pepper cultivar, or the growing conditions.

Thresholds
None established.

Management Notes

This is a very common disease, which can appear throughout the season, but is of most concern the earlier it appears, as it will have more time to cause economic damage.
Use disease-free or disinfected seed.
Do not plant diseased or unhealthy transplants.
Avoid working in fields when foliage is wet.
Some pepper varieties have tolerance to some races of this disease.
A preventative program using registered fixed copper fungicides can reduce disease problems if used during transplant and early field production to keep bacterial populations low.
Overhead irrigation and wind-blown or splashing water can spread the disease.

o
RE: Controlling 'Bacterial Leaf Spot' with Pepper plants

What I'm asking how much threat is it that this is a chronic problem in my garden, and I will need to take strict measures?
Or does the problem just come from the plants I buy and spring weather conditions?

I don't grow peppers from seed. I have been doing rather intensive gardening, mixing things close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here