Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes soft on bottom, okay to eat?

Posted by Yessabub none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 10:33

I'm having the hardest time telling what is okay to eat or not. Most of my tomatoes are ripening now but lots that look good are soft on the bottom? Are these rotting or are they ok to eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes soft on bottom, okay to eat?

Is the bottom discoloured, like a dark spot? Could be blossom end rot - I usually throw those ones out.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 12:09

Depends on what is causing them to go soft on the bottom. It could be many thing from just left on the vine too long to a disease. Post a picture of a couple of them.

If you pick your tomatoes at color break and let them finish ripening inside instead then you don't have to worry about disease or pest or weather damage causes. If you do any reading over on the Growing Tomato forum here you'll find that most experienced tomato growers do that.

Dave

o

I have been letting mine ripen indoors and they taste fantastic, nothing like store-bought. I agree with Dan. Let them ripen indoors once they start color breaking.

o

Here's a pic of them

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 19:53

Well the tops of them have what is called yellow shoulders and uneven ripening. Those conditions are caused by poor growing conditions - primarily overly wet soil, temperature extremes, low potassium, inconsistent soil moisture levels and periods of excessive heat or cold. You can learn much more about it over on the Growing Tomatoes forum here..

The one bottom showing that looks like it might have some soft spots is also caused by uneven ripening. The soft spots have ripened much faster than the rest of the fruit. Just cut the soft spots out and eat the rest.

Again you can eliminate some of this by picking the fruit at color break so that it isn't exposed to the temperature extremes and by stabilizing your soil moisture levels better.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Causes of uneven ripening and yellow shoulders

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here