Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stripped cucumber beetles

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 10:40

I found a few of these guys on my summer squash. I'm not planning on doing much about them since the squash is on its last legs. We survived SVB with damage (thank you syringe and BT), but doing okay. Powdery mildew has been an issue on and off and is getting worse. Two appear to have mosaic virus (ironically, these two have been remaining the most productive). I'm using a SFG method where you prune the vine and stake it, so of course this probably left them a bit weakened with the leaf pruning and close plantings.

With the stripped cucumber beetles though, do I need to worry about overwintering larva doing damage in the garden next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stripped cucumber beetles

Yes.

o

What should I take into consideration when prepping the beds either in fall or spring then? Is there any treatment that would be recommended?

o

Some people apply beneficial nematodes around curcubit planting time. Some people apply an insecticidal drench, earlier.

After years of futilely trying to control this pest, I'd say that the key for you would be to eliminate as many as you can, now, before they have a chance to overwinter.

This post was edited by ltilton on Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 13:08

o

cucumber beetle and squash beetle are both on my high priority search-and-destroy list. You could never really kill too many of them.

o

Saw more today on my cucumbers. What's my best options for trying to kill them? I have malathion handy but have been avoiding pesticides for the most part this season.

o

I had these pests for the first time this year. They seem to be a good candidate for "search and destroy" control. They feed on the top of the leaves and during the day. Much better than coming out at 2:00AM and hiding under the soil during the day. After many S&D missions in the spring, I thought they were gone so I stopped looking for them. But I found they were back in August. Now I just pull off the previous day's blossoms and that's where all the beetles are congregating. What could be easier?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here