Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
STRONG tasting broccoli...?

Posted by Kjirstyn none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 10:57

Does anybody know what would cause broccoli to be so strong tasting that we can't eat it? My only guess was that it was due to heat (we got them in late this year due to garden remodeling) but I wasn't sure.

I'm new enough to gardening that I don't know if home grown broccoli IS just that much stronger and it's supposed to be a good thing (kind of like the frequent comparison of store bought vs. homegrown tomato flavor) or if it was actually something I could do something about next year. Thanks ahead of time for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: STRONG tasting broccoli...?

Just found another forum on this topic so I guess I'll dig into that first. Thanks anyway. :-)

o

Insufficient water, planted too late in the spring so exposed to hot weather (broccoli is an early spring or late fall crop, not a summer crop), and to a small degree variety can make it bitter. But no, home grown broccoli is not normally bitter.

Since you didn't include your garden zone or location in your post it is impossible to provide more than general info but the most likely cause is that you planted it too late.

Dave

o
brusselsprouts

My brusselsprouts have been in since april but there are no little brusselsprouts only big beautiful leaves. Is the heat the reason for that too? Will they grow in the cold.
Last year I harvested in November but it wasn't so hot last year. Do I need to feed them more?

o

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 13:06

Reason for strong tasting broccoli in my case (zone 9) would be hot climate. I've given up planting spring broccoli for this reason. I only plant broccoli in the fall. I seed in August/early Sept and set plants in mid Sept to mid October.

Regarding the non-productive brussels sprouts... my lack of production was related to variety. I had to switch from the OP varieties to hybrids (e.g. Jade Cross & Bubbles) to produce results. (As with broccoli, I only plant brussels sprouts in the fall... no experience with spring/summer planting.)

o
brusselsprouts

Thanks Grandad, I guess I'll not pull them out. I'll wait to see what cool weather does. It was so hot this summer I'm surprised any thing grew. Next year I'll do a better search . I did start from seed this time and last year I used plants. Live and learn!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here