Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sweet potatop flower

Posted by foolishpleasure 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 12 at 11:03

Why my sweetpotatos are making flowers. I thought it is a root vegetable What is the function of the flowers other than looking prety?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sweet potatop flower

They are a whole, complete plant and as such will flower when they feel conditions are right. The flower is to make seeds. Most plants have more than one strategy for propegation of their genes. :)

o

Sweet potatoes are a member of the morning glory group. Some varieties blossom with abandon others rarely. As sunnibel stated They have to seed in order to get crosses an start new varieties. Covington flowers abundantly.
Photobucket

o

I think sweet potato flowers are beautiful. I don't see many of them, but I love 'em. Haven't seen one this year "yet" on mine.

o

I agree the flowers are prety. I have a large bed of sweet potatoes plants. The plants are very green healthy and look happy. There are over 50 flowers in the bed. The neighbor's wife and her friend asked me if they can come close and look at them and take pictures I said sure. I Had sweet potatoes last year but did not flower. I love eating sweet potatoes.
Abe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here