Leaves falling off my okra

Posted by DFW_Gardener 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 11:05

What's been happening to my okra?

Here is a link that might be useful: DFW Gardener

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves falling off my okra

The okra could use a lot more sun than it's getting.

o

It's getting over 12 hours of full Texas sun, I'm thinking that's got to be adequate.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 13:50

Mulch & water may help.

o

Followup:

Milder weather perked them right up.

Perked up the aphids too.

o

Followup:

Aphids pretty much died off.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 22:08

I did not plant Okra this year.
My brother in law called me in late August to say he & his friends had all the okra they could put up & I could have all I wanted, then he was going to bush hog all 250 plants.
I picked 1 1/2 to 2 5 gallon buckets every three days. I & all my friends ate fresh okra & I put up enough to last until May of 2013.
The okra grew to 6 feet & the new growth was covered with aphids & stink bugs.
I hope to grow both CS okra & Cow Horn okra next Spring.

o

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 14:37

DFW Gardener, after you okra finished producing, and when you pull our the old plants, make note of the root lenght. My guess on the earlier wilt issue was that the plants had reached a larger stage and were not able to obtain enough nutrients/water to compensate for your August heat. (I noticed that you had planted them in a 3 (or 4) by ??? matrix with spacking at about 1 ft.) Once the heat moderated they seemed to better cope.

By the way, I remove all leaves below the harvested okra. So dying leaves is never an issue for me.

o

I spaced my plants as indicated on the seed pack, they're further apart than the video might indicate. I should have mulched them, that would have helped with coping with the heat I think.

Followup.

o

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 16:34

DFW Gardner, good update. Your plants look great.

Heard you mention possibly trying a different variety. If you do so you may want to include Emerald in your selection list.

o

I planted clemson spineless okra #80, and louisianna green velvet -
I prefer the lousianna green velvet.

In the past I have also planted red burgundy, I also like the red burgundy as they are more tender with longer pods.

Danny

o

Follow up:

Plants still going strong, but showing their age.

I was looking at growing Emerald next season.

o

DFW Gardener, your Clemson Spineless continues to look great. With a little luck with the weather you may be harvesting well into November (or even later).

Your sugar snaps also look great. I too like the remesh as a trellis. I use it for chinese long beans & pole beans in the spring and sugar snaps in the fall. I added a braced wired-on extension to the remesh so that my total trellis height is 7 ft. Chinese long beans and pole beans will easily reach over the 7 ft height. And if I recall correctly, my sugar snaps typically reach somewhere between 5 and 7 ft. If yours do the same you may want to think about adding an extension to the top of your trellis. Or you could just let them flop over the top.

o

grandad:

You brought me luck, just had a nice harvest yesterday.

o

Looks like the end of my okra season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here