Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lettuce seeds

Posted by karachigardener 11 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 11:08

Will Simpson lettuce and rocket seeds germinate in hot weather? (around 85 to 95 degrees)
If so, then how deep do we have to plant them?
Also, I heard that rocket seeds need light to germinate, is that true?
If it is then how do we plant them?
Do we just place them on top of the soil or do we bury them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lettuce seeds

Lettuce won't germinate well at those temperatures. They require temps under 80.

Here is a link that might be useful: germination chart

o

Just in case US readers are wondering about rocket. That's arugula. I call it rocket too but have learned the alternative name on these forums. Apparently it needs 40 - 55 Fahrenheit to germinate ie pretty cool by your standards. A nice warm spring day by mine. I don't know about the light thing. I just sow in a shallow groove. Seems to do OK.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 10:41

simpson is a great cool weather lettuce, bolts very quickly - so I would wait on that.

Arugula. it bolts too, but you may be able to keep it clipped until the cool weather, however, it will get a very strong taste quickly in the heat - not sure if that will abate when the temps go down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here