Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spinach sprouting or weeds?

Posted by ginamaegrow NH (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 11:19

I just posted a similar question regarding my romaine lettuce (excuse my very limited knowledge its my very first yr gardening!) but I'm having the same issue with my spinach deciphering what is a spinach sprouting and what is a weed. I weeded thoroughly before planting so I'm not sure why there's so many weeds popping up.. I mixed in gardening soil mix, compost, and peat moss into my regular soil before planting. It has now been 2 weeks and this is what has grown.. Package said 7-10 days so it seems like its taking a while considering I planted a TON of seeds planning on thinning them out later. Any advice or input as to what is what in this pic would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spinach sprouting or weeds?

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 11:42

As said in your other post on the question you will have to wait a bit longer to tell which is which for sure but in your pic there is one clear spinach plant in the top left hand corner - the one with the long skinny darker green leaves.

Next time clear out all the weeds well first.

Dave

o

Spinach seedlings are easy to identify - the leaflets are elongated and bright emerald green. I see a couple in your photo.

Lettuce seedlings. unfortunately, are easy to mistake for weeds, but the first pair of true leaves from romaine should be identifiable.

Unfortunately, the act of clearing weeds to prepare for new seeds only encourages some weed seeds to sprout - notably the Abominable Purslane.

o

Looks like weeds to me except the one dave mentioned

o

I'm not positive of what either one of them are on both of your posts but may I suggest that next time you drop the seedlings in a line or a row that way it's easier to identify what is what.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here