Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumbers have lost vigor

Posted by Ash7681 CA SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 11:55

My cucumber wines (two, side-by-side) have been growing like crazy and producing big juicy cucumbers all summer, but have suddenly lost vigor in the last two weeks. They were growing strong in-spite of mildew problem (which I have remedied using neem oil spray). Now, they have completely stopped flowering or growing any further.

I am a newbie and would like to know if the end of season for cucumber is upon us (I live in SF Bay Area and the weather has gotten a bit cooler lately). Or if the mildew does permanent damage to the growth of the plant.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumbers have lost vigor

Probably both factors at work.

o

The same happening to mine I think they go strong for a certain period then just give up due to therir own version of old age.

o

They seem to be coming back to life. Just got a big juicy cucumber grow in less than a week and more flowers are sprouting at the growing end. Probably was the mildew problem that got to them earlier.

o

If they look green and healthy, give them some fertilizer(Bloom booster type) and water regularly. Keep spraying Neem oil regularly too.

But normally, cukes have a short life span. Even without disease they get tired and stop producing. The start producing awkward shaped fruits. That is why staggered planting makes sense.

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 7:12

o

My first planting of cukes has looked awful for a month. The last few cukes were misshapen and then for a couple of weeks, nothing. I was ready to pull the vines, except that up at the top there were healthy looking new sprouts.

So I waited, and now I see new cukes growing. It's like the vines needed a 2nd wind. And yes fertilized and watered to give them a boost.

o

Mine have all but stopped producing too! Now I'm just focusing on my peppers! They are doing good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here