Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broccoli with yellow buds? Safe to eat?

Posted by kathymehnert 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 11:59

I picked my broccoli and put them in frig. 1 day later there are yellow buds............What should I do? I was planning on blanching then freezing? Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broccoli with yellow buds? Safe to eat?

Sounds like you might have picked it a bit late as it is starting to go to seed. ;) It is still safe to eat. If you want to blanch it and freeze just shave off the buds as much as possible (they can be bitter) and go ahead with your plans.

Dave

o

• Posted by lelia Northern Cal (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 13:15

Try it first. I find flowering broccoli to be flat-out gross, but the peeled stems are still delicious.

o

Peeled stems?
Could you elaborate, please.
Thanks,
Gumby_CT

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 14:34

gumby,

Broccoli stems are nice to eat, but if your heads are so mature that they are flowering, the stems are probably beginning to get tough and fibrous on the outside.

Peel off the outer portion of the stem with a potato peeler or knife and cook and eat the insides of the stems. They are delicious, I like it much better than the florettes.

o

Second that... I actually composted all the heads off my broccoli this year because they were too late.. ate the delicious stalks though - wonderfully tender and sweet.

o

Thanks Murky, I will have to try that. Nothing to loose right? Well except more seeds.

This entire 4x4ft. bed are volunteers from plants I let go to seed last year. Made planting this year a breeze. Nature at it's finest ;-)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Thanks for all the advice..........I tested the broccoli before steaming/freezing and there was no diff. Will try to blanch/freeze next year the same day it is picked....Still learning..........big 40 x 120 garden so am still learning with all the vege's. :)

o

You can also use the stems for stir frys too. Just make sure you boil it for a few minutes first. It goes great with sliced beef.

o

Also shredded stems make great cole slaw type salad.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 19:47

If you're done harvesting heads, you can also eat the leaves. They are similar to loose cabbage leaves or collard greens. They are all very closely related.

I imagine you aren't growing cabbage or collards, or at least not letting them bloom at the same time as your brocolli, since they will cross pollinate and the resulting seeds will produce a mix in the next generation. If you are just after the greens, then the mixing probably doesn't matter much.

o

The bright yellow broccoli flowers are edible and delicious. If you miss harvesting at the tight bud stage, you can still harvest broccoli, even with the flowers open. Broccoli flowers can be eaten raw or cooked. Use them as an edible garnish or include them as a nutritious and attractive addition to any salad. Completely opened flowers will wilt when steamed, but partially opened buds retain their shape. Broccoli flowers have a pleasant, mild flavor. Some specialty markets sell yellow broccoli flowers in the produce section as a delicacy item.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here