Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spots on green beans

Posted by tmontana MI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 11:59

I did some searches and didn't find what mine are looking like. I'm thinking it may be from some bug (Japanese Beetles?) eating them. Or is it a fungus? Disease? Thoughts?

Also are they safe to eat like this?

Drop Box

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spots on green beans

Yup, those are bug bites. Something takes a bite out of them when smaller, and the wounds callous over with brown tissue in an attempt to heal the wound. The hole enlarges a bit as the bean grows, in the way that something written in magic marker on an uninflated latex balloon gets larger when the balloon is inflated.

Now, exactly who the culprit is I can't say, but I've seen this happen enough times in my own garden to tell you there are multiple possibilities -- earwigs, grasshoppers, various beetles, even slugs during wet weather (especially on bush beans).

o
RE: Spots on green beans

Pretty common to get spots on bush beans in hot August in the midwest US for various reasons. Insects mostly, slugs, fungus... Cut off the bad parts if you can, eat the good parts. You could try poison powder in June and July to try to keep them pest free, but I don't want to fill my garden with poison. In Ohio I usually mostly give up on them in August since the beans get less appetizing.

I don't know an easy solution, but avoiding crowding may help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here