miamijoe13

broccoli rabe

miamijoe13
10 years ago

When would I plant fall Broccoli rabe in zone 7....thanks

Comments (13)

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

If you have starts you can plant them now. I start seeds in late June.

Worst thing that can happen, if you are too late for your microclimate, is the plant chugs along through the winter and doesn't make broccoli until spring :).

They are perennial in our climate, so don't pull the plants when they go to seed. Or just pull the ones with the worst aphids, and keep the ones that are better at fighting them off -- that's what I do. And save seed from those plants :).

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great info... sounds like you have been growning it for a while... again thanks

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great info... sounds like you have been growning it for a while... again thanks

• AniaT
    10 years ago

I'm sprouting it now in Zone 9 for the fall/winter. I'm getting poor germination on it though..that or it takes really long to sprout, not sure which.

First time I am trying it.

• Donna
    10 years ago

It's important that you start seeds in the right conditions. Temperature is especially important for broccoli. I started my seeds inside the air conditioning (75 degrees) under florescent lights. They were up in 5-7 days. I tried them outside one year (along with collards, which did fine) and that was a big failure.

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

I hope you are aware that broccoli raab is not a broccoli. It is a member of the turnip group. It normaly flowers about two months after direct seeding so August would seem appropriate for most of zone 7. The flower heads are desired but the whole plant is used.

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes thank you raab is awsome been eating it since I was a kid mom and dad came from ITALY so it was a regular part of our dinner....got to love it...thanks to all for all the info

• glib
    10 years ago

As Dill says, these are fast crops and are planted with arugula as the last planting. Nothing to do with broccoli except they both come from Italy. Early August is fine in my Zone 6, and I am planting them tomorrow together with bekana (I planted arugula Monday).

• miamijoe13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glib, thanks I too and planting them today, good luck hope the weather is good, we have been getting way to much rain...

• AniaT
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Donna. Sounds like I should maybe try again since it's been way longer than that and only a couple sprouts are up from about 6 cups and a couple damped off.

They are indoors in a bay window where I sprout everything else. But if they are a quick crop, I can probably try a couple of more times at least.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

Oh, yes, good point about sprouting them somewhere cool!

I do mine in the living room. They don't need sun until after they have sprouted -- then you can move them to a window or I put mine out on the porch.

They should sprout within 48 hours or so.

• Donna
    10 years ago

Oh, my. This is me embarrassed. I was, indeed, thinking of broccoli. Nevertheless, raab is in the same family and does require careful seed starting. Sorry!

• farmerdill
    10 years ago

No need to be embarrassed. The name broccoli raab throws most people. But it is actually a turnip. Grow like you would grow any turnip. It speciallizes in growing a seed head which remind some folks of a broccoli floret.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing broccoli raab