Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudman93

Watermelon issues

mudman93
12 years ago

I am growing Baby Doll hybrid this year (a yellow variety) and when I picked the first one even though all signs said it was ripe it was white inside and not sweet at all. Now the others on the vine have started cracking open and they are still white inside and do not smell sweet. What is going on. I have never had this issue with the reds. It seems that if they split they should be ripe.

Comments (22)

• bsntech
    12 years ago

what kind of conditions were they grown in? Temperature-wise, full sun, and how often did you water?

I have some crimson sweet watermelon that are looking good - but have issues with trying to figure out when they are ready to be picked.Affordable Web Design

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• mudman93
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think this season has been great for the melons this year- hot, humid, and plenty of rain. I have not had to water my garden since spring. I grew CS the last 2 years with no issues.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    12 years ago

I would go back to what works for you.

• mudman93
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It was my five year old son who wanted to grow them. He loves yellow and he loves watermelon.

12 years ago

Yellow Doll might be better then.

• mudman93
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I believe Baby Doll is a hybrid with Yellow Doll as one of the parents.

• farmerdill
    12 years ago

Yellow Doll is also a hybrid. Yellow Doll is avery good melon. There are also many open pollinated yellow flesh watermelons including a yellow fleshed version of Crimson Sweet I have not grown Baby Doll, but some varieties are notorius for splitting before they ripen. TastiGold is the worst for splitting that I have ever grown.
    {{gwi:101323}}

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    12 years ago

Cream of Saskatchewan (sic) is also a high pressure watermelon. I read that about them, and sure enough, all you have to do is tap them when ripe and they split right open.

• mudman93
    Original Author
    12 years ago

About three or four of them have split open since starting this post and all have been white and not ripe. At least I have figured out how to grow them up north. I wont be trying any more yellows anytime soon though.

12 years ago

This splitting thing is strange to me. The only one I ever had split was a worthless baby type [Smile]in 2005.

• rayrose
    12 years ago

Sometimes rain or watering in the afternoon will cause some melons to split.

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I have Yellow Doll growing for the first time this year. I havent picked any, but have one that must be getting close. It is almost the size of a bowling ball, which is bigger than I thought they grew. Are there any sure signs telling you when to pick? I have been waiting for the nearest climbing tendril to go brown, but no signs of that yet. When I thump it, it sounds like I expect a ripe melon to sound, but .......I really dont know. Any tips would be appreciated.

12 years ago

Mandolls...If you are in Z4, definitely wait at least until the first week of Sept. The tendril turning brown imo is not a good indicator of ripeness. It takes a while after that. Usually trial and error is the best way with any particular watermelon maturity dates, or growing year. I have a small 4 pounder growing. I've seen watermelons for sale at local veggie stands, so mine might be ripe (or over ripe), but it's only a best guess. I'm going to crack mine open today.

• Angelicisi
    11 years ago

So I have a similar issue :-( been babying my babies (only set 2 fruits) and go out daily to check n make sure bugs are kept at bay and see if they were ready...then this morning found the one pictured split like someone took a slice right out! Lol no one did! In about 16 hrs went from fat n round to split- big split too! My mistake was ysterday I afternoon watered I think for too long (forgot) So being that the trendles dried on the other one I picked it (scared it'd split too) the one pictured I took a bite out of-(ew maybe being it was split all night but had to try it) still pretty white but amazingly tasty! So I hope the intact one is ripe! (Haven't checked inside it yet still admiring the last one standing!) I'm broken hearted I lost one! My pumpkins didn't make it thru an epic SVB attack and now this...

• Angelicisi
    11 years ago

Rip

• dcaponegro
    11 years ago

Maybe it slipped and fell on the tile :)

RIP little watermelon.

• Angelicisi
    11 years ago

Lmao! Ikr? Well I was told by a local here that grows them to slip a tile or flat stone underneath to keep it from soil contact O.o so I listened- this was my 1st attempt at these watermelons lol I'll have to put those lil non slip bath tub stickers on there for um! Hahahaha

11 years ago

Splitting is one thing I don't have trouble with though I've seen my share of disease. Watermelons don't need things placed under them. Cantaloupes maybe if you don't rotate them [turn them].

11 years ago

Not sure what caused your watermelon to split, but I do know that certain varieties are pressurized more than others. Cream of Sasketchewan is a white fleshed watermelon that must be handled gently as it ripens or it will pop open. When I harvested one, just for the grins I tapped it with a knife handle, and sure enough it split right open.

• flagirl69
    10 years ago

I know this is an older post,but I live in zone 9 (NE Florida) and my first attempt at a new
    home with Black Diamond and C.S. .Scared be cause neighbors have split.Mine are only the size of a softball,and I was told he liked to " fondle" his,lol.Also dont know what variety hes attempting
    . Tons of rain lately and am getting nervous.Are these pretty sturdy varieties for the south?Thanks!

• rayrose
    10 years ago

Yes they are, but as I posted before, rain and afternoon watering will cause melons to split. If Black Diamond don't grow to above 25 lbs, they won't ripen, and you've got a wasted melon. I've stopped growing it, because of that. There are better varieties to grow.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Don't know where you are, but a lot of the US has had flooding rains for most of the growing season. That will make them split.

I've grown Yellow Doll several times, and it's never done that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, with weather like this year.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz