Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noir de Carmes melon

Posted by steve_in_los_osos CA 10a/Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 12:13

When do I pick it? Right now it is mostly dark green with a few hints of white here and there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noir de Carmes melon

The back of the seeds packet will contain maturity information most of the time.

o

I wish this one did. Just a lot of generic stuff about melons. Looks like from pictures on the web it must have some yellow or orange in the picture when it is ripe. I hope mine get there before the vines give up the ghost. All of my other melons (except the watermelon) are done, the vines having yielded to disease just about the time the melons were ripe. Whew!

o

A fellow gardener at my community garden is growing these. His were done when they turned mostly orange-yellow with some streaks of green. At least his were :). They also had a nice fruity smell too on the end.

Here is a link with a picture that shows how his looked/look http://www.cherrygal.com/melonnoirdescarmesheirloomseeds2008-p-5044.html

This post was edited by gardengal13 on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 4:05

o

Thanks for the link! Mine have a ways to go, I guess. Hope they make it.

o

You're welcome :)! He told me one day they were dark and the next day they just turned so I think yours will make it. Fun melon. I might grow this next year. Has a nice flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here