Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rpost78

Please identify this bug!

rpost78
10 years ago

I've been having a horrible time this year with bugs. Last year was my first garden in this house, so I guess they didn't get last year's memo, no bugs. They didn't missed it this year! LOL Bugs everywhere!!!

What are these?

Comments (9)

• rpost78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

...and these little guys were all over cukes making white dust everywhere. Now there is sawdust looking eggs everywhere. Related or coincidence?

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

The sawdust thing is aphid(pest) but the white hairy thing looks like mealybug destroyer(beneficial insect).

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I think those orange things are the nynphs of the dreaded leaf-footed stink bug. If so, you really need to eliminate them.

Let the aphids go, nature is taking care of them. This is why you don't really want a "no bugs" policy in your garden.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Your first question should be are they doing any damage to the plants rather than what bugs are these. Better than 90% of garden bugs are beneficials so when no plant damage is obvious the odds are the bug is a good guy..

The tiny white as mentioned are aphids - not good guys but only pose a threat with a severe infestation (which you don't have per your pics) and they can be blasted off with water hose.

The bigger white ones with the spines are indeed mealy bug nymphs and definitely good guys.

The orange guys with the long legs are Assassin Bug nymphs and very good guys. Not all leaf-footed bugs (100s of varieties) are bad guys and they do NOT need to be eliminated. They as well as the mealy bugs are eating your aphids.

Dave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Assassin Bug nymphs pics

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Good call, Dave.

So much damage lately from stink and squash bugs, they have me jumpy. That's why ID really is important.

• rpost78
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the ID. The squash bugs have already destroyed my zukes. Didn't even get 1 this year, last year they growing out my ears! I am super jumpy from the SVB's! I have bells and banana peppers in the same bed. They look good so far except this morning one of my banana peppers fell off and had a hole through it. It was dark around the edges of the hole but the rest of the pepper looked fine. Also, the other peppers look good and about ready to pick.

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

"....It was dark around the edges of the hole but the rest of the pepper looked fine...."

This same thing happened a lot to my eggplants too. The usual suspects in this case imho are flea beetles, stink bugs, green squash beetles(the nastiest things in my garden) and finally maybe some unknown moths.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Mealybug destroyers (beneficial predators) look very similar to mealy bugs (plant pests).

The destroyers (beneficials) are larger, more shaggy, and faster-moving that mealy bugs (the pests).

It's great to have much free help, right?

• Sammywillt
    10 years ago

The first picture is an Incredible shot .What camera are you using please ...

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer