Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please identify this bug!

Posted by RPost78 8A (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 12:13

I've been having a horrible time this year with bugs. Last year was my first garden in this house, so I guess they didn't get last year's memo, no bugs. They didn't missed it this year! LOL Bugs everywhere!!!

What are these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please identify this bug!

...and these little guys were all over cukes making white dust everywhere. Now there is sawdust looking eggs everywhere. Related or coincidence?

o

The sawdust thing is aphid(pest) but the white hairy thing looks like mealybug destroyer(beneficial insect).

o

I think those orange things are the nynphs of the dreaded leaf-footed stink bug. If so, you really need to eliminate them.

Let the aphids go, nature is taking care of them. This is why you don't really want a "no bugs" policy in your garden.

o

Your first question should be are they doing any damage to the plants rather than what bugs are these. Better than 90% of garden bugs are beneficials so when no plant damage is obvious the odds are the bug is a good guy..

The tiny white as mentioned are aphids - not good guys but only pose a threat with a severe infestation (which you don't have per your pics) and they can be blasted off with water hose.

The bigger white ones with the spines are indeed mealy bug nymphs and definitely good guys.

The orange guys with the long legs are Assassin Bug nymphs and very good guys. Not all leaf-footed bugs (100s of varieties) are bad guys and they do NOT need to be eliminated. They as well as the mealy bugs are eating your aphids.

Dave.

Here is a link that might be useful: Assassin Bug nymphs pics

o

Good call, Dave.

So much damage lately from stink and squash bugs, they have me jumpy. That's why ID really is important.

o

Thanks for the ID. The squash bugs have already destroyed my zukes. Didn't even get 1 this year, last year they growing out my ears! I am super jumpy from the SVB's! I have bells and banana peppers in the same bed. They look good so far except this morning one of my banana peppers fell off and had a hole through it. It was dark around the edges of the hole but the rest of the pepper looked fine. Also, the other peppers look good and about ready to pick.

o

"....It was dark around the edges of the hole but the rest of the pepper looked fine...."

This same thing happened a lot to my eggplants too. The usual suspects in this case imho are flea beetles, stink bugs, green squash beetles(the nastiest things in my garden) and finally maybe some unknown moths.

o

Mealybug destroyers (beneficial predators) look very similar to mealy bugs (plant pests).

The destroyers (beneficials) are larger, more shaggy, and faster-moving that mealy bugs (the pests).

It's great to have much free help, right?

o

The first picture is an Incredible shot .What camera are you using please ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here