Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me identify squash/gourd

Posted by helcatamy none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 12:32

Hi all hoping someone can help me identify this squash which potentially could be a gourd or even melon. I think it's squash or gourd as it's got prickly stems on the leaves. I planted lots of varieties this year and kind of lost track when they went in big pots so now I have this lovely plant and big fruit but no way of knowing what it is! It looks like a big fat marrow crossed with watermelon! Last two days it has started getting lumpy bits which don't look like a virus to me, look like they are meant to be on there. I've grown gourds, melons and squashes so it could be any! Mainly I need to know if it's edible as some gourds aren't! Please help! Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me identify squash/gourd

Do you have a picture of the whole plant?

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 16:22

Growth patten of plant is reminiscent of cultivated squash and/or pumpkin, but I don't know which one.

o

Did you buy these seeds or is this plant a volunteer or from saved seed from last year? If it's a volunteer no one will know for sure what it is. It's definitely not a melon. If it came from bought seeds I would guess it's a decorative squash/gourd in the C. pepo species.

Rodney

o

Hi guys I'll take some pics of the actual plant tomorrow maybe that will help. I planted bought seeds and volunteers too, so many varieties! Next year they will be back in the allotment but this year life got in the way so into pots they went and I lost track!

o

Hi again here is a pic of the actual plant, hope someone can help!

o

The pic didn't attach to last post argh here it is!

o

Because the plant is staying put and not running around, I don't think it's a decorative gourd. The texture of the rind and the leaves suggest yellow squash lineage. When the plant sets another fruit, harvest it as a summer squash and see how it tastes.

If I had your strange squash I'd let it mature taste it as a winter squash, but don't get your hopes up. In my experience, four out of five times they are dogs, but fun to grow.

When you dabble in open-pollinated cucurbits, some off types are part of the scene.

o

Agree with planatus. Since you planted volunteers you will likely never know its name as it probably doesn't have one. It is a result of previous cross-pollination of unknown plants. But the odds are it is edible, just not worth the space it is taking up in taste.

As all the previous "help me ID this squash" posts here show, saving squash seeds and growing volunteers very seldom turns out to be worthwhile. It cross-pollinates far too easily to faithfully reproduce from seed without active intervention early in the previous season.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here