Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Too late to plant pole string beans?

I have the space to plant them, but do I have the time? I know I get less sun as August rolls through too. Is it a waste of time here in Massachusetts?

Comments (17)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yes, IMO, it's too late.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree. You can plant bush beans but pole take longer to kick into production.

Dave

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, thanks for a quick answer.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Plant some bush beans in that spot instead. You will still get beans.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rita, I am going to check and see if I have any. I am buying other seeds this week, maybe I'll pick up some bush beans too. I grew EZ Pick Bush Beans this year from Johnny's and I didn't care for them. They were definitely easy to pick, lol, they just had a bland taste. Any recommendations for a good bush bean? I used to grow Royal Burgundy.

• aloha10
    10 years ago

I like Maxibel. Planted some a week ago under row covers and they are up and growing here in coastal MA.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Sorry, I don't grow many bush beans so not the best for advice. Maybe you can find the old standbys like Blue Lake in Bush.

Probably the local nursery will not have seeds but my favorite on the beans are the French Fillet types. Tender and tasty. Pick young.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

My Bush Blue Lake planted in May just started producing (3/4lb off 38 plants today - hope it picks up, but at least it's more than the handful I've been picking). Nothing on Kentucky Wonder yet (buds not open though in full sun) so IMO yes it's too late for those, don't even know about BBL but it's worth a try.

My Dwarf Sugar Snaps are coming up, but nothing showing where I put the Oregons yet. Do you need beans - maybe plant peas instead?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sconticut, just curious, why the row covers?

ajsmama, I could do peas, in the spring no one was eating them though. (g)

IâÂÂm rethinking my need to have green beans. I donâÂÂt have a large vegetable garden area, so I donâÂÂt want to waste the space on something that might fizzle out. I may go to greens instead. Thanks all for the help. IâÂÂll remember those names for Bush Beans next year.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Did you grow English peas or snow/sugar peas in the spring? Maybe your family will eat the pods even if they don't like peas?

My DD ate 1 green bean last night w/o gagging - yeah!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ajsmama, they were Sugar Snap Peas, which I ate most of. (g) My DD does like them but she's never here to eat them. And it is a timing thing. They ripen when they ripen and she was out of state at that point. She is actually more adventurous in the vegetables she will eat then I am.

Have you tried adding butter and grated parmesean cheese to the string beans? That is how our son likes them. Or we've used them in home made minestrone soup too.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

My DS loves them with just garlic (no butter). DD ate the 1 with butter (but won't eat stinky cheese). I make minestrone in the winter, guess as long as I don't vacuum seal the bag (or seal it up after taking a few beans out) I can shake a few in, I usually blanch and freeze a pound of beans in a Foodsaver bag for a single meal (3 people).

So what have you decided to plant?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kids do have their specific taste challenges but I certainly do too.

I looked through my seed packets yesterday and I don't have as much as I thought. So I'm going to hope they still have some seed I need at the nursery and if not I'm wondering if it is too late to order online?

I have plenty of Sugar Snap Peas and some Kale. No lettuce, wow. I have some Tatsoi, which I've never tried, and I may put some of that in. I'm going to try to purchase some Broccoli starts because I think it is too late to start them from seed. I'd like to pick up some Bok Choy seed.

So, I just made up my mind, the Peas are going in today. I have the tripods from the string beans all ready to go and plenty of seed.

• Donna
    10 years ago

Prairiemoon, I found a "formula" on the SESE site for figuring how much time you need for a late crop of something.
    You find your average first frost date,
    then count back the days to maturity for whatever you want to plant,
    then count back 2 weeks for the shortening of days
    and then count back however many days you want to be harvesting before losing the crop to frost.
    You can shorten that last amount if you use row covers.

I thought it was a helpful bit of information. I planted Contender Bush Beans a couple years ago and they were the first bush beans I ever planted that I thought tasted as good as pole beans. I have read lots of recommendations for Provider on the forums too, but have not grown that one.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    10 years ago

Provider always does well for us and we like the flavor. We also plant Top Crop because it is also very reliable in production and taste. Both should be readily available from many sources in the spring; not so sure about availability this time of year.

Edie

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Donnabaskets, that makes sense, I'll try that. And thanks for another name of a string bean to try. :-)

Edie, Provider is a name I've heard now that you mention it. and I'll add Top Crop to the list. Maybe I'll grow them all and see which one we like. Thanks.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Doing a little research before I make a seed order and ran across this thread from last year. Just wanted to update that I did grow the peas and I got a very small harvest from them. After doing some reading, I've figured out that my vegetable plot has less sun on that side in late summer because of the changing track of the sun. So beyond lettuce and greens, not much use in planting fall crops there.

I've also learned that I need to buy enough seed now for fall planting to speed up these last minute decisions. :-) Lots of lettuce and Kale on my list this year.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm