Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katscountrycritters

What to plant in late summer?

I would like to start a small vegetable garden. I've attempted growing seeds several times and nothing grows. They all die after I transplant them. So I'd like to just start with small plants. We do not have many nurseries near me and the ones we have do not have much to choose from. The local box stores no longer sell vegetables after late July. I am in zone 6/7 depending on the year.

I have found brussel sprouts, brocoli, cabbage, and a couple scraggly tomato plants. What else can I grow? Are there any herbs that can be planted as young plants this time of year and thrive for the next couple months?

Comments (7)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    10 years ago

Zone 7 here, my local box stores (lowe's HD) stock up on broc, cabb. BSs, transplants, etc by Aug 20th. Here I can plant them that same week, a narrow window. Also plant direct by seed - carrots, beets, collards, kale, turnips, & spinach during the 4th week in Aug (I aim for the 23rd+/- 3 days). The spinach, turnips, and greens can be planted a bit later by Labor Day as they grow fastest. There are other things to plant like lettuce, kohlrabi. Good gardening!

• Donna
    10 years ago

You know, if "nothing grows" I would rather think the problem is the SOIL. Fall is a wonderful time to do something about that so that next spring lots will grow. You could approach it a couple of ways. You could pile a couple feet or organic material over your garden area (leaves, grass clippings, kitchen scraps: not meat!) and let it sit there all winter. By spring, the worms will have turned it all into wonderful, miraculous soil.

Or, you could loosen the soil with a fork and then sow a cover crop and let that grow all winter. Then turn it under in late winter and let the green tops rot in. Also, will give you great soil to work with next year.

FYI, it is very very helpful if you will tell us your zone and your state when you ask questions.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I found that if I transplant my seedlings after they get their second set of true leaves into 4 inch pots and let them grow bigger they usually will make it in the ground. Fertilizing when they are young seedlings is very important. That's what kills mine, lack of fertilizer. I know someone that gives them diluted Miracle Gro as soon as the plants pop up. Her plants always look so healthy. Not promoting chemicals, just saying what worked for her. I'd love to know the organic way to get seedlings to flourish.

• defrost49
    10 years ago

When I transplant I like to water with fish or seaweed liquid fertilizer (you dilute it with water). Transplant on a cloudy day in the afternoon and water the next day.

I think you might have time to grow beets, swiss chard and carrots from seed. Also leafy green veggies. I'm in zone 5 (NH) so if I plant beans now, I cover with a low tunnel to protect from mid-Sept frosts. Check one of the planting calendars for your zip code/growing zone. I think Johnny's Seeds has one.

I also agree with Donnabaskets that maybe your soil needs help. Read up on lasagna gardening. Pile the grass cuttings, etc now to have your bed ready for spring planting.

I think you can get a crop of basil in but if you have a soil problem, you might be better to grow in a large pot. Perennial herbs like tarragon can be planted and will winter over. Make sure to keep watered.

• planatus
    10 years ago

Get thee to a farm supply store and get some turnip and mustard seeds. Throw them on the soil and stand back. Arugula and leaf lettuces also will thrive when planted now.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    10 years ago

Kats, just to add to my first post above - My local Aug 23rd planting date for a fall garden is approximately 8 weeks before my area's first frost date, so to follow my schedule you'll need to adjust your planting time accordingly for your area's first average frost date.

• bart1
    10 years ago

Don't forget fall Peas!