Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepprgrowr

can vegtables be tricked to growing inside perpetually?

PepprGrowr
9 years ago

This is my first year as a grower of any vegetables and many of my vegetables are grown in individual pots, typically 5 - 10 gallon. I have a variety of vegetables but am most curious about my peppers, and Tomatoes.

Since summer is almost over, if I were to bring in the plants at the end and keep them under a sun replacement ( HPS, MH, LED) for the optimum amount of time daily ( say 12 hours to replicate full summer sun) would the peppers continually produce fruit?

Thanks for the help and if you have any similar setups would love to see them!

Regards

Comments (8)

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Peppers & Tomato's are actually perennial plants (in the tropics, where they are from), you don't need to trick them, just mimic a tropical environment, which means no freezes!

I have one pepper plant that is 4 years old, living outside against a protected wall in the winter...

• glib
    9 years ago

the problem is the light.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Agree with glib, the main problem is providing enough light. While even perennials have a life span and will eventually die (so no, perpetual isn't possible) and while you can easily provide the water and nutrient and air temps needed, providing enough light broad spectrum is an expensive challenge.

Even those of us who grow in greenhouses have to provide supplemental lighting in the form of HID or MH during the winter and in most cases, unless you live close to the equator, it's 16-18 hours that is needed not just 12.

So how close can you come to replicating the conditions in a GH without spending an arm and a leg and are the few peppers or tomatoes you will get be worth that cost? :) For most, the answer is a definite no.

Dave

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Another thing to consider if plants are brought in from outside, you will likely be battling bugs too.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Ditto on Donna's comment. Once a plant has been outside, there will almost certainly be insect pests (such as aphids) hidden on the plant. Outside, predatory insects tend to control the pests... but brought indoors, away from those predators, the pest population can quickly explode. In past years, I've brought potted plants indoors, either to mature seed, or in an attempt to over winter them. They usually become heavily infested with either aphids or spider mites, and had to be destroyed.

Also agree that light is an issue, you need to get as close to the intensity & spectrum of sunlight as possible.

• PepprGrowr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the great information and it seems to make sense. At the moment I am looking into proper indoor growing with a grow tent and light source that can replicate summer conditions inside. This started off as more of a hobby and may stay that way, costs being a consideration, but I am at the moment hooked on the idea. Here is the setup I have planned and what I was hoping to achieve.

3'x3' Mylar lined indoor growing tent with an LED grow light that is equivalent to a 450 watt HPS or MH (or so I am told). I know there has been some debate on the efficacy of LED vs HPS and MH but having looked at the costs, running the LED light for 18 hours a day would cost me about 23 cents daily and I would not have to worry about over heating. As this is a grow specific LED light The PAR levels and lumen output are more then sufficient for the area. All this being said however, I realize it may be a cost restrictive idea where I would spend more then just buying the same produce at the store (over the lifetime of the plant) however the ability to manipulate or enhance the end product by giving optimal nutrients, lighting, etc sounds like a lot of fun and something that could ultimately enhance my future outdoor harvests. Further, I am addicted to hot peppers and figure some optimal conditions could produce some extra spicy varieties.

Regarding the bugs, I could start all new plants via seed to avoid bringing anything inside, just figured it may be easier (given they are already flowering) to start with mature plants. Clearly that is a big thing to consider!

Thanks a lot for the input!

This post was edited by PepprGrowr on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 17:11

• Kevin Reilly
    9 years ago

Marijuana growers seem to know how to grow things inside tents very well. They could tell you about set ups...

There is a hot pepper forum too where a lot of people over winter their peppers and would have some advice for you

My peppers against my brick/stucco wall in San Jose overwinter outside and actually fruit in the winter (not near as much as summer). Still nice to get a few fresh peppers in January though....

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper forum

• PepprGrowr
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's funny you mention that melikeeatplants, a lot of the links regarding indoor lighting related to marijuana growing but I ignored them figuring they would not be as applicable, and I assume much more complicated. That said I will take a look anyway and also explore the hot pepper forums! Thanks!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting